The Winnipeg Jets continued their March toward the post-season with a battle against the King's of Los Angeles. The game was a tightly contested affair, but the Jets came up short. The final score was 4-1, but a pair of goals against came on empty-netters.
1. Nic Petan was scratched for Anthony Peluso again. Peluso wasn't bad tonight, but it will be interesting to see how often this occurs.
2. Peluso's centre, Andrew Copp, really helped carry the mail for the 4th line. Copp has been looking more comfortable with each game and he is starting to flash more offensively.
3. More offensively is relative. Copp has shown more, but Nikolaj Ehlers continues to show the more-est. Ehlers potted another goal tonight and he hit a post - his fourth in three games. This kid is phenomenal and he is already legitimately among the Jets most gifted players. Teams will eventually have to start planning for him. If / when they do, Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler will feast.
4. Ehlers led the team with 5 shots on goal. Mark Scheifele added 4 shots of his own. That line was buzzing again and Scheif made a few really nice plays, one in particular where he battled through a couple king's players and kicked the puck up onto his stick. He was denied iron the play, but it showcased some high end skills.
5. Ben Chiarot and Tyler Myers were horrible tonight.
6. They were truly horrible. Like really, really, really bad. At one point they piled their bodies in the crease in an attempt to keep the puck out of the net. It worked, but it is somewhat telling when their biggest stop came while laying down. They earned the minus on the score sheet tonight, we'll apart from the minus accrued on the empty-netters. Plus / minus is a horrible stat.
7. The recently rebuilt defensive pair of Tobias Enstrom and Dustin Byfuglien had no such troubles. They have been visibly ahead of the pack since they've been reunited.
8. Also in the good was Adam Lowry. His showing wasn't mind-blowing, but I can't help but be impressed by how well he is playing against tough opposition. He drew Anze Kopitar repeatedly tonight and did just fine, Lowry also continues to assert himself physically. He had a team high 7 hits tonight.
9. Ondrej Pavelec had himself another nice night to continue his strong start.
10. Ten thoughts feels like a lot of thoughts sometimes.