What is this? Blake Wheeler is scoring again and the Jets are still losing!? But I thought his inconsistencies were the Winnipeg Jets problem.
Oh wait, no. It is Dustin Byfuglien's weight, that is the problem!
Erm, I mean it's Tobias Enstrom's size?
Or is it Evander Kane's selfish play?
Or Andrew Ladd's non-vocal leadership style?
So many damn choices! All I know is if everybody would just try as hard as Mark Stuart and James Wright then this team would be in good shape.
Man oh man there are some
stupid fun narratives in Jets land and while they all make for fun discussion, none of those mentioned above are really the problem.
That isn't to say that the issues listed above are 100% make believe -- some of them are even based in reality -- but the idea that the Jets best players are the source of all the Jets' problems is beyond ludicrous. They aren't the problem. It has nothing to do with their heart. It has nothing to do with not caring. Those story-lines are simply a disgusting oversimplification of a beautiful game.
HOCKEY ISN'T A BATTLE OF WILLS.
Will exists and it takes a great deal of will to make it to the NHL; this is true regardless of a player's talent level. But there is so much more to the game of hockey than will. There is this other thing called talent that plays a big part.
But I've seen the Jets put it all together. When they try, they win.
The Jets are not a unique case. They are not breaking new ground with their up an down play. The Jets look exactly like every other non-playoff team does - with wild swings in play from night to night. This is the norm! There are two teams on the ice and both of them are trying to win.
- Only one team can get off to a great start.
- Only one team can score first.
- Only one team can control territorial play.
- There are two teams on the ice at all times.
But what about the time they beat [insert good team here]?
- The Florida Panthers horrible, but they have wins over the Dallas Stars, Pittsburgh Penguins, Minnesota Wild, Anaheim Ducks, Colorado Avalanche and Vancouver Canucks.
- The Buffalo Sabres has a win over the Los Angeles Kings and have beat the Toronto Maple Leafs twice.
- LOL, Buffalo beat Toronto twice.
- Two times this season Toronto has lost to Buffalo.
- The Calgary Flames beat the Chicago Blackhawks.