Bruce Fedyck-US PRESSWIRE
The Jets play their second game in as many nights an look for their second win on the second half of back to back situations. Looking at the keys to the game.
The Winnipeg Jets are looking to bounce back for the second time in as many nights. They really haven’t looked great on their most recent road swing. Penalties, a piss poor PK and some general sloppiness have been their undoing. Still, the Jets have entered the third period of both games even or in the lead. They haven’t been great, but they haven’t been quitting.
Tonight the Jets face a white hot Tampa Bay Lightning team that sits second in the East. It remains to be seen if the Bolts can sustain their early success, but they do have a very talented roster. Off-season additions have helped shore up their blue line and fix the mess that was between the pipes, not to mention that the Lightning feature one of the NHL’s preeminent goal scorers in Steven Stamkos.
The Jets have a tough task on their hands, especially if Dustin Byfuglien misses his second straight game. The Jets have a number of depth defensemen, but they are struggling mightily to fill the void by their absent superstar. Then again, replacing players that caliber of Big Buff and Zach Bogosian would be tough for any team.
Keys to the Game:
- Die Penalties! Die!: The Jets really need to kill some penalties if they want to win in Tampa. The Jets have killed an embarrassingly low 63.6% of the penalties so far this season, that places them dead last in the league. The Jets weren’t great on the PK last year, killing only 80.1%, but I am sure they’d love that number right now. Hopefully Pearn can help them figure things out.
- Don’t Take So Many F***ing Penalties: The PK won’t fix itself overnight, but the Jets do have a quick fix option – Don’t Take So Many F***ing Penalties!! This was a problem that plagued the Jets last year and it is back!! Avoiding shorthanded situations against a dangerous offensive squad should keep the Jets in this one.
- Get Lucky, But No Selfies: The Jets could really use a little bit of good fortune. The Jets have had three goals bounce off their defenders (Ron Hainsey twice and Tobias Enstrom) and past Ondrej Pavelec. This won’t sustain itself and the Jets can’t really control it, but it would really help.
Tampa Bay Lightning
- Keep On Keeping On: The Lighting are rolling. Everything has been working, so they should probably keep doing everything and hope it keeps working.
- Lightning Lindback: The Jets have stuggled defensively, but their offence has been rolling. A strong effort from the Tampa netminder will do wonders for their odds of winning.
- Run From Regression: Top to bottom the Lightning players are PDO’d out!! What does that mean? It means the Lightning have been shooting with unsustainably high shooting percentages and almost everybody on their roster is due some statistical regression. It will come eventually, but the lightning have to hope it doesn’t come tonight.
Player to boo mercilessly:
Steven Stamkos!!! He is one of the best players in the league and he is a dirty diver.
Winnipeg Jets 4
Tampa Bay Lightning 0 – F
I just want to see what that would do to the Main Stream Media. It might break them.