Now I know where the cop 'stache came from...(National Film Board of Canada via upload.wikimedia.org)
Ahhh, remember the 1940s? Me neither. I can't really fathom a time when my parents would consider naming me Fern (don't get me wrong, it's a fine name...for a plant) or Randley (which actually was a Wendorf family name).
But it happened. We're going to fathom right now.
Same rules as before:
...hockey history is chock full of names that can pique a person's interest, whether it's because it's unintentionally funny to the English sensibility (Petr Pohl), almost regal (Normand Rochefort), or lends itself to entertaining wordplay (Darius Kasparaitis). The criteria for our 'most interesting names' is a bit loose, in that the name can strike you as any one of the above descriptors, or all of them, but ultimately you are going to vote on the name that 'strikes' you the strongest.
Here are the best of the rest:
- Norm Mann - Get it? Norm Mann, Normmann, Norman. Okay, moving on...
- Alex Singbush - You know what, what you guys do in the locker room can be your own little secret. Seriously though, doesn't this guy look like he has a secret?
- Viv Allen - He sounds like he either guest stars on Coffee Talk with Linda Richman or The Golden Girls.
- Bep Guidolin - The Joe Nuxhall of the NHL, at 16 years old he became the youngest player to ever play in the NHL. His name is almost catchy, but not. Like when your parent bought you a tape of Zwan when you clearly wanted The Smashing Pumpkins.
- Bobby Copp - Only person I've found whose last and first name are both terms for police. In a thrilling twist of fate, his post-career occupation was not as a police officer (Joe Pelletier, what possessed you to include that photo?).
- Roly Rossignol - One of my goals in life is to do the commentary for an NHL game and say this name.
- George Gee - Can be read as "Georgie" or the list name "Gee, George." His namesake is big into swing bands.
- Baz Bastien - One of the cooler names I've found. Pretty tragic life, actually, some of his own making. Has an award named after him, for AHL's best goaltender.
- Metro Prystai - I just don't really know what to make of this one.
- Harry Dick - Ditto.