The Winnipeg Jets might make a believer of me yet. My heart which refuses to believe in them is coming around. They’ve just burned me so many times in the past. I forgot that the Edmonton Oilers will always be the Edmonton Oilers and that might be the biggest saving grace for all Jets fans.
The game itself was a bit of a nothingburger which probably works out in the Jets favour and is what they should continuously go for. Don’t get into a run and gun game. Play it safe with lots of disrupting. They have nullified Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl which is impressive (some of that is Connor Hellebuyck being Connor Hellebuyck though). All in all, good job, good effort.
- The Winnipeg Jets came out looking much better once they got their feet wet in this game. They controlled play for stretches of time and legitimately looked like the better team which is always a good sign for the Jets. This does not always happen.
- The bad news for the Jets is it appears that Mike Smith came to play tonight. The Edmonton Oilers goalie is not always on his game so the Jets could be in trouble if this keeps up. (author: it did indeed keep up).
- Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl looked dangerous. The rest of the Oilers not so much. But I did forget about Drai when writing the previews for this series, so sorry to all Draisaitl lovers. He’s good.
- The Jets almost seem to have turned back the clock and remembered who they were years and years ago. It is confusing and I don’t buy it, but here we are. It might be because the Oilers are a one line team, but it’s all we need right now.
- HNIC called Pierre-Luc Dubois a star and I just don’t see it. He does not seem like a stand out player to me at all. Maybe it’s because of my low hockey IQ, but there doesn’t seem to be any stand out quality there. Sorry.
- As long as Connor Hellebuyck is a Jet, everything should be okay in the end. Just breath.
- This ended up being a sleeper of a game without a lot happening. Why oh why oh why do we have an 8:45 start on Monday night. People have to work, you know!
- Dylan DeMelo is once again proving that he is a fine defenceman and should have been given more respect from the coaches all year.
- This is a game that is thoroughly deserved overtime because both goalies were excellent.
- Paul Stastny won it for the Jets in OT. They did play a full 60 minutes and didn’t give us more heart attacks than necessary. We shall see what Sunday night brings us.