Stick a fork in the 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets. They are officially cooked, busted by the mighty Los Angeles Kings and Cal Petersen. Despite hitting LA on dangerous counters and constant onslaughts down the middle, the Jets managed to lose 3-2 at home. This should just about put the nail in Winnipeg’s playoff coffin. The Jets were never truly built for the post-season runs and this game, while exciting here and there, showcased many of the same issues we’re used to. Winnipeg did get a bit goalied but that’s not enough of an excuse for the generally mediocre performance. The Jets just aren’t that great and seem hell-bent on doing things like playing Zach Sanford in the top-6. I appreciate Zach’s dedication and drive but he ain’t gonna be scoring you goals like KFC did.
- I await the off-season with some eagerness. The team needs a lot of changes and I suspect some very big names on the roster might be moving on.
- Winnipeg doesn’t truly seem to believe it can make the playoffs. The body language from the players and the minimal depth acquisitions at the deadline bear the hallmarks of a very half-hearted attempt to make the dance.
- Nikolaj Ehlers is still pretty cool!
- The Scheifele chapter of Winnipeg hockey history could have been utterly glorious. Instead, it’s going to end in frustration and angst over what never came to be. I hope a change of scenery can unearth the version of Scheifele that I know is buried under his bad habits.
- I don’t really have any other takeaways, other than general apathy. I’m pretty ready for the tank!