The Winnipeg Jets put in an effort in their win against the Arizona Coyotes that showed they were both on the second half of a back to back and they were the superior team. They were not always the strongest team on the ice especially if we look at the first period, but they were able to settle into the game and took over the game by the third period. Their first line was also full marks for the win with them supplying the two regulation time goals thanks to Cole Perfetti with a brilliant steal and score and Mark Scheifele who has looked rejuvenated this season.
It was goaltending that kept the Coyotes in the game to overtime and it was full marks from the Jets to not get frustrated when their shots were not going in. It took them until overtime to break the tie, but it was a well-earned win by the time Blake Wheeler scored to win the game. The Jets showed resiliency throughout the game and deservedly won because of that.
- I need to get this out of my system: the Mullett Arena isn’t an acceptable NHL arena. Why? It literally does not have professional work spaces for anyone. That’s the issue. We can mock the size, but it is loud. We can mock the name, but it is fun. But the video space for the visiting team? The changing room for both teams? HOW IS THIS ALLOWED FROM A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS LEAGUE!?!?!?!?!
This is the Arizona Coyotes locker room. The HOME locker room in their arena.— Stat Boy Steven (@StatBoy_Steven) October 28, 2022
If I was on that team, I'd request to be sent down to the AHL pic.twitter.com/EPphNvNvSX
Welcome to our crib (tonight). pic.twitter.com/7ziB0RRju0— Winnipeg Jets (@NHLJets) October 29, 2022
- The Jets looked better than Thursday’s first period which really is not saying much. No matter what Kevin Sawyer says, the Jets are an uneven team at best. At their best the Jets are really good and fun to watch, but they are too unpredictable to call them good.
- David Rittich used to have the name Big Save Dave in Calgary. He has not managed to retain that nickname here.
- The Coyotes played well which is good because this is their home opener and they will want to put on a show to keep fans coming back. They have moved 30 minutes from Glendale to Tempe, but are theoretically in a better place now because Tempe is closer to Phoenix.
- Cole Perfetti played such a smart game, especially for a rookie. He goes to the net with speed and skill while playing as hard defensively as he does around the net.
- The Jets played moderately well, but the second half of a back to back seems to have done them in even if they’re playing a weaker team. Maybe they’re also a weaker team?
- The Jets power play did them in tonight. Even though they were able to _______, they really could have used their power plays to put the boots to Arizona.
- This game is full value for what the Jets are doing. While they were unable to to score many goals. they were able to build off of their play and pressure the Coyotes to maintain momentum as the game went on. At some point the Jets turned it on and really brought it.
- Full marks to Karel Vejmelka who was the main reason the score was tied after 60 minutes. He is now my mortal enemy because I need to go to bed.
- Blake Wheeler was the hero we needed so we could go to bed.