Hello friends! Winnipeg Jets hockey has once again returned to cause us joy, angst, elation, and sorrow. On Monday night’s outing, Winnipeg squared off in preseason action against the, ehrm, mighty Ottawa Senators! In what probably comes as no surprise, the Jets lost twice in the same game to Ottawa! Wait, what? Yes, you read that correctly. Winnipeg fell in overtime, then in the shootout. For some reason, these preseason games mandate a shootout, regardless of the score. Uh, thanks, NHL? While it’s junky preseason hockey, here are some takeaways from the action.
- Eric Comrie had a tough outing against a substandard opposing line-up. I know he was a bit on the rougher side heading into tonight, but he had a few moments where you’d really expect a save. Comrie handled the low-danger stuff well enough, but didn’t do it for me. It’s not gonna get better against real NHL shooters.
- Cole Perfetti’s a genius. Every pass, movement, and shot attempt felt purpose and assured. He sees the ice at a fundamentally higher level, and it shows. Give him real talent to work with.
- Johnny Kovacevic ain’t half bad! If he can replace Poolman’s spot on the third pairing down the road, all the better.
- Svechnikov is a bonafide player. He had some quality scoring attempts and seemed to be in dangerous positions throughout the evening. If Evgeny can stay healthy, he might just boost Winnipeg’s scoring depth.
- Gustafsson is really flippin’ good. I don’t know when Big Dave will finally get a long-term look with this team, but he’s seriously impressive. He’s strong on the puck, has good vision, and quality distribution. Pair him with scorers and watch the sparks fly.
I’d be curious to know what you thought of Monday’s action. Let me know in the comments below!