Milwaukee Admirals @ Manitoba Moose Recap - Nov 18th
The Manitoba Moose have returned home after going 3-2-1 during a 6 game US road trip, during which they faced off against several Central Division rivals.
To start off Manitoba's 5 game home stand, the Milwaukee Admirals (3-7-1) have arrived to take on the Moose (7-5-1) for 3 straight games, starting tonight at 7 pm CST.
The Moose will get a 2nd round draft pick (Dylan Samberg) back in the lineup tonight, as another 2nd round draft pick (Simon Lundmark) was sent to the press box. Manitoba has done fairly well on special teams this season, scoring on 19.2% of their PP attempts while keeping their opponents off the scoreboard on 87.8% of short-handed situations (also was 95.2% in the last 6 games while SH). David Gustafsson and Ville Heinola lead Manitoba with 10 pts this season, while Mikey Eyssimont is the goal scoring leader with 5.
The Milwaukee Admirals are winless in their past 4 games and have gone 1-0-1 versus the Moose this season (both games went to OT). The Admirals PP has been dangerous so far (23.4%), but their PK has struggled somewhat (78.6%). Cole Schneider leads the team with 10 points and 6 goals. Admirals goaltender Connor Ingram had started off the season extremely hot. After facing 60 shots the last time they played Manitoba (a 4-3 OT loss for the Admirals), he has lost 2 straight games while allowing 4 goals against per game.
Moose Projected Line Up
1st Period Recap:
- Milwaukee got the first shot of the game when Berdin came out of his net to play the puck, sending it to the Admirals' Luff instead of Heinola. Luff took a quick shot that made Berdin speed back into his crease to make the save.
- Manitoba's 4th line spent a shift forechecking in the Milwaukee zone, which resulted in a shot for Burgess that the Admiral's Ingram gloved.
- Suess ran over an Admiral that tried to bodycheck him in the neutral zone.
- The teams traded breakaways when both teams leading scorers (Gustafsson/Schneider) had chances. Gustafsson just fanned on his shot and the puck was kicked out by Ingram.
- Perfetti, Maier, and Reichel had glorious opportunities for the Moose, but 2 of the shots sailed wide of the net & the other was saved by the goalie.
- 7 minutes into the game and Milwaukee were outshooting Manitoba 6-5 when Poganski got caught tripping an Admiral in the defensive zone.
- For the most part of the 1st minute of PP, the Admirals had difficulty setting up in the Moose end, even giving up a 2 on 1 for the penalty killers. But a failed pass attempt denied Manitoba a scoring chance. Near the end of the PP, the Moose got caught on a bad line change that resulted in another breakaway for Milwaukee. Berdin stood tall, kicking the shot to the corner.
- Right after the penalty ended, Samberg sent a beautiful stretch pass to Suess, but Poganski was a step offside as he came out of the box, killing the potential breakaway.
- Just past the midway point of the period, Manitoba gave up their 3rd breakaway of the game. The Admiral forward tried to go to the backhand, but his shot went wide.
- Shortly after Manitoba took their 2nd penalty when Eyssimont was caught with his stick between a Milwaukee player's legs and brought him down to the ice.
- Heinola/Samberg pairing started the PK on defense and both did a good job getting dump ins out of their zone quickly. The Admirals put about 30 seconds of sustained pressure on the Moose before one of their players took a hooking penalty while fighting for a rebound.
- 4 on 4 for about 15 seconds before the Moose went to their 1st powerplay of the game. The 1st PP unit gained the zone quickly and Gustafsson & Perfetti passed it around, setting up Reichel for a 1 timer. A pretty slap-pass from Heinola set up Maier to the side of the net, but his deflection was off target. PP started the game 0 for 1.
- Samberg lost his man on a 2 on 3 and the pass found the Admiral forward between the face-off circles. His quick shot went up and over the crossbar and Samberg was able to retrieve the puck.
- A point shot through traffic from Chisholm caught Ingram up high and produced a rebound. Neither Maier or Eyssimont could get to the puck before it was iced by Milwaukee.
- Kovacevic and Samberg passed it back and forth along the blueline before Samberg snapped a shot towards the net. An Admiral defender was able to block the shot, but while Suess was fighting to get the puck he was pulled down resulting in another PP for Manitoba.
- With 1:30 left in the 1st, Manitoba started off with the 1st PP unit to try and break the tie. They controlled the puck and passed it around the zone until Heinola 1 timed a shot from the point. Ingram saw it all the way and made the save without difficulties. With 52 seconds left in the period, a Milwaukee defender swung at a puck in the air and caught a Moose player instead. MB went to a 5 on 3 PP.
- After a lot of passing, they finally set up a Heinola for a 1 timer from the high slot that Ingram was able to get a piece of. As the last seconds ticked away, Manitoba had another chance on a Gawanke 1 timer but it was once again blocked by an Admiral.
- The period ended with the game still scoreless, but Manitoba will have 29 seconds of 5 on 3 PP time to start the next frame. Shots were 11 to 8 for the Moose.
- The Moose made way too many turnovers at the opponent's blueline, resulting in dangerous counter-attacks by the Admirals. Both goalies had to make big saves to keep the puck out of the net, but Berdin faced the higher number of quality shots.
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Reichel (3), Heinola/Eyssimont (2)
2nd Period Recap:
- Manitoba were able gain the offensive zone quickly thanks to a good forecheck by Perfetti. The best chance they managed when 5 on 3 was a Perfetti 1 timer that hit Gustafsson just in front of the goalie. They couldn't get any thing done with the 1 man advantage either, dropping them to 0 for 3 on the PP.
- Right after the PP failed, the Admirals pressed and Meireles ended up taking an interference penalty to send them to the PK for the 3rd time.
- The Moose continued with their strong penalty killing, spending only about 30 seconds of it in their end. They were able to break plays up at the blueline or force dump ins that were quickly sent back down the ice. That's 23 of 24 penalties killed in the past 6 & a half games.
- Great shift by the 2nd line that kept the Admirals pinned in their end. However Milwaukee continued to clog up the space in front of Ingram, blocking many Moose shots.
- Strong shift for the 1st line, where they controlled the puck and set up a few chances. Perfetti had a couple of them, but one shot went over the net and the 2nd was broken up by a good defensive stick.
- Cole Maier hustled on the forecheck and lifted a defenseman's stick. That forced Ingram to step up and try to play the puck out of the zone. Eyssimont was able to intercept the pass, then showed some patience to wait and slide a pass to a streaking Jones. He made no mistake and put the Moose up 1-0.
- Moose Goal: Jones (2) from Eyssimont (2)
- The Admirals Richard sped along the boards and then around the net. A quick wrap-around attempt was just denied by Berdin and he was able to cover the rebound.
- A long bounce pass from Polei almost sprung Burgess on a breakaway.
- In the middle of the period, the Moose were leading the shot count 17-13.
- After a few minutes ticked by with the majority of the play in the neutral zone, the 4th line had a grind shift in the Milwaukee zone. The 1st unit followed up and continued the pressure as they passed it around the zone.
- Eventually Poganski threw the puck back to the right point, Gawanke stepped in and wristed a shot (pass?) towards the left side of the net. Perfetti showed some nice hand-eye coordination and deflected the puck up and over Ingram's pad to give the Moose a 2-0 lead.
- Moose Goal: Perfetti (4) from Gawanke (4) and Poganski (6)
- A turnover in the neutral zone ended up being a gift for Suess as he was just coming off the bench. He raced in 1 on 1 with the goaltender and made a deft move to slip the puck between Ingram's pads. Manitoba scores 2 quick goals in 1:01 to take a 3-0 lead with 5 minutes left in the 2nd.
- Moose Goal: Suess (2) from Malott (5) and Oligny (3)
- Two and a half minutes later, Perfetti skated the puck into the Admiral end. He faked a shot before backhanding a drop pass to find a wide open Poganski. He took a stride towards the net and snapped a shot by Ingram's glove and into the top shelf. Manitoba explodes to a 4-0 lead with 2:29 remaining.
- Moose Goal: Poganski (2) from Perfetti (4) and Gustafsson (8)
- Manitoba continued to control the play to end the second period. Big bodycheck by Samberg in the neutral zone to create a chance the other way. Heinola danced around the zone before his pass to the front of the net was broken up.
- Period ended with the Moose controlling the shot count (22-14) and a big lead on the scoreboard.
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Gustafsson/Reichel (3), Perfetti/Eyssimont/Heinola/Burgess (2)
3rd Period Recap:
- The Milwaukee Admirals pulled Connor Ingram and replaced him with Devin Cooley to start the 3rd.
- 1st line led off the period with a shift spent in the Admirals end. Perfetti seemed to be touching the puck regularly as they threw it around the zone.
- Maier hit Heinola with a pass and he streaked through multiple defenders before trying to go to the backhand. Had the goalie beat but the puck rolled off the end of his stick. Would have been a highlight reel goal.
- Shortly after Gustafsson let fly a 1 timer from the low slot that hit the inner post and almost bounced in off Cooley. Manitoba really controlling the play in the early part of the 3rd.
- Six & a half minutes into the 3rd, the Moose went back to the PP after Meireles took a check from behind as he was forechecking.
- Manitoba initially struggled to gain the offensive zone, until Perfetti skated the puck in to set up the 1st PP unit. They passed the puck around and it eventually ended up on Perfetti's stick along the left boards. He skated the puck in, then sent a quick pass to Reichel, who was posted to the left of the goalie along the goalline. He one touched a pass to Gustafsson in the low slot & a 1 timer beat Cooley, finding the top corner. Moose take a 5 - 0 lead with the PP goal.
- Moose Goal: Gustafsson (4) from Reichel (4) and Perfetti (5) - PowerPlay
- After Suess was denied on a deflection from just in front of the net, Milwaukee put on some pressure of their own. Luff found himself with the puck on the face-off dot and managed to get Berdin to butterfly early. A perfect shot beat the Russian goalie over his shoulder to end his shut out bid. Milwaukee makes the game 5 to 1 with 11 minutes to play.
- Admiral Goal: Luff (4) from Davies (3) and Glass (10)
- Nice pinch by Samberg kept the puck in the Admiral end, allowing the 3rd line to put on some pressure. Eyssimont ended up being hauled down, sending Manitoba back to the PP.
- The 2nd PP couldn't get anything going, but the 1st PP unit controlled the puck for the second half of the PP. They had some chances without success until Polei pulled an Admiral defender down with 4 seconds remaining on the PP.
- The hot Moose PK came onto the ice and gave up a chance when Berdin gave the puck away with a bad pass. He is pretty quick at getting back into his net and he did so once again to make the save. Milwaukee were able to keep the puck in Manitoba's end for large parts of the PP, but weren't able to get much on net until the penalty had almost expired. After a mad scramble in front, Berdin stoned a shooter from the low slot.
- The game got a little chippy near the end, eventually a brief scuffle between Jones and Donovan leading to a pair of majors.
- A Heinola turnover in the defensive end led to a quick passing play for Milwaukee. It ended with a 1 timer from the low slot into an empty net, with Berdin having no chance on stopping the puck. Milwaukee made it 5-2.
- Admiral Goal: Grimaldi (1) from Schneider (5) and Allard (1)
- 1st line came on and had a push-back shift. They controlled the puck in the offensive zone and Chisholm found Gustafsson with some space near the blueline. After receiving the pass, Gustafsson stepped up a blasted a slapshot that caught the inner post before finding twine. Manitoba responded quickly and made it 6-2.
- Moose Goal: Gustafsson (5) from Chisholm (6) and Gawanke (5)
- Milwaukee had a couple good shifts in the final minutes, controlling the puck for chunks of time but not creating a whole lot.
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Gustafsson/Heinola (5), Reichel (4)
- Final Score: Manitoba 6 Milwaukee 2
- Shots: Manitoba 36 Milwaukee 24
- Samberg Watch:
- 1st: Thought he had a pretty good period. 1 bad play where he stepped up on the puck carrier when he should have kept covering the player driving to the net. The pass went between his legs and set up a scoring chance. Otherwise, he was making good decisions with the puck and jumped into the offense once resulting in a good chance for Manitoba that was blocked.
- 2nd: Another solid period. Physical play and showing poise with the puck. Getting involved in the offense a bit more in the 2nd. Tried a toe drag that almost beat a defender.
- 3rd: Nice block on 1 of the few Admiral chances in the 3rd. Good pinch at the offensive blueline. An impressive 1st game of the season for the big d-man.
- Greg Meireles was asked for his initial opinion on Samberg and said that he was "a very smooth skater for a big guy".
- Manitoba scored 4 goals in 9:08 during the 2nd period to take control of this game.
- Best game of the year for Cole Perfetti. He was dominant tonight and finally was able to get on the scoresheet after being stymied the past few games.
- The whole 1st line played well in this one, combining for 14 of Manitoba's 36 shots.
- Solid outing for Berdin, as he stopped 22 of 24 shots. Many quality attempts against, including 3 breakaways.
- 3 Stars of the Game:
- 1st: Cole Perfetti - Manitoba (1 goal, 2 assists)
- 2nd: Austin Poganski - Manitoba (goal, assist)
- 3rd: Kristian Reichel - Manitoba (assist)
- Second time that Manitoba has chased a starting goaltender, with Ingram being pulled after 2 periods in this game.
- Up Next: Milwaukee Admirals @ Manitoba Moose on Nov 19th @ 7 PM CST.