Grand Rapids Griffins @ Manitoba Moose Recap - Oct 24th
After winning a tight game versus Grand Rapids on Friday, the Manitoba Moose (2-2) faced off against the Griffins (1-2) once again on Sunday afternoon.
Rookie tender Arvid Holm was set to get his first AHL start in this one, while fellow rookie Simon Lundmark replaced the veteran Nelson Nogier on the 3rd defensive pairing.
The Moose controlled large parts of the game on Friday, but were consistently frustrated by Grand Rapids goalie Calvin Pickard. After being kept off the scoresheet in his AHL season debut (not due to lack of opportunities), Cole Perfetti was looking to get his first points in this game. David Gustafsson (4 pts) was leading Manitoba in scoring coming into this game, followed closely by Ville Heinola (3) and Mikey Eyssimont (3).
Manitoba's PP has struggled a bit to start the season, running at 15% (3 for 20) in the 4 games played to date. The PK has been better, sitting at 85.7% (2 goals against in 14 chances).
Grand Rapids started their backup goalie Victor Brattstrom today, after their starter faced 38 shots in Friday's matchup.
Moose Projected Line Up
1st Period Recap:
- In the opening minutes of the game, both teams couldn't manage to find a way to break down the opposing defense resulting in a lot of back & forth play with no shots on net.
- A good grind shift by the 4th line ended up providing Manitoba with it's first 2 shots of the game.
- Holm kicked out a left pad on a long wrist shot 4 minutes into the game for his first AHL save.
- Grand Rapids Veleno led a 2 on 1 into the Manitoba end, but nice positioning by Chisholm kept him from shooting or passing and they failed to get a chance on net.
- Heinola took a bump and went to the dressing room at the 6 minute mark.
- Holm called up to make a nice save on a 1 timer by the Griffins, kicking it to the corner and the Moose were able to clear the puck.
- A puck bounced on Eyssimont in the slot, ending a high danger chance for the 3rd line.
- With a smidge under 12 minutes left in the period, Suess was interfered with in the offensive zone, resulting in the 1st Moose PP of the game.
- Manitoba wins the draw and Johnson's shot was deflected just wide by Poganski. The Moose keep control and after some strong work down low, the puck came to the point. Chisholm skated in slightly before sliding the puck over to Perfetti, who made no mistake and buried a 1 timer into the net before the Griffin goalie could react.
- Moose Goal: Perfetti (1) from Chisholm (1) and Poganski (1) - PowerPlay
- Eyssimont set up Suess for a shot from the low slot immediately after the PP goal and the 3rd line kept possession in the Grand Rapids' zone.
- A pushback shift by the Griffins led to a scramble in front of Holm, who was spread eagle on the ice trying to keep the puck out of the net. After much confusion, Manitoba was able to ice the puck & relieve the pressure.
- Chisholm was getting increased ice-time while Heinola remained in the Moose dressing room.
- 1st line drew a penalty after spending their shift in the Grand Rapids zone and the PP came on for the 2nd time.
- Perfetti was tied up and unable to get his stick on a juicy rebound. 2nd unit came on when the Griffins were able to clear the puck. They had 2 decent chances, as Eyssimont set up Caron for a 1 timer in the low slot and then Meireles deflected a shot from the point. Moose unable to capitalize on the PP.
- With 6 minutes left in the 1st, the Moose were outshooting the Griffins 8 to 4.
- Gustafsson made a nice drop pass to set up Malott for a scoring chance but the Griffins' Brattstrom was able to get a blocker on his shot. Good news as Heinola returned to the ice during this shift.
- Holm made a blocker save and Chisholm blocked a shot, as the Moose were pinned in their end by Grand Rapids for a shift.
- Gawanke backchecked and broke up a 3 on 2 chance for the Griffins. Holm called on again to make another save as Manitoba was getting pressured by a couple good Griffin shifts.
- Manitoba took advantage of a turnover, resulting in Perfetti on a 2 on 2. He ended up cutting to the middle and used Johnson as a screen, just missing the far post with his wrist shot.
- The first period ended with the Moose holding a 8 - 6 advantage in shots and leading the game 1-0. PP went 1 for 2.
- Grand Rapids was playing a lot better when compared to the last outing, but Manitoba was still getting the better scoring chances.
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Kovacevic (3) with 5 players tied with 1 shot
2nd Period Recap:
- Once again, the 2nd line started the period & Perfetti won the draw, but Manitoba couldn't do anything with possession.
- Malott & Gustafsson cycled well on the following shift which allowed the Moose to get their first shots of the period.
- Grand Rapids took control on the next shift and Holm was called upon to make a few saves. The Griffins continued to push for the tying goal, as the Moose were caught in their own end. Eyssimont threw a big bodycheck while defending.
- Holm made his best save of the period on a 1 timer from the slot, blockering the rebound to the corner. The 4th line was finally able to get the Moose out of their own end and forced an offensive zone face-off.
- Perfetti won the draw and allowed Manitoba to gain possession. Gawanke just missed Perfetti for a deflection and the Griffins were able to clear the zone.
- The Griffins' Murray made a nice backhand pass to Veleno in the slot, but Holm was able to stop the 1 timer.
- Maier tested the Griffins' goalie with a snapshot from the slot. 4th line stuck in their own end for a long shift. Grand Rapids missed the net on a shot from the low slot.
- 2nd line spent a shift in the offensive zone, with some nice passing between Perfetti & Gawanke.
- With 11:40 left in the 2nd, the Moose were holding a slight 14-13 advantage in shots.
- Great move by Grand Rapids' Hirose at the blueline led to a tap-in chance on a give & go play, but the puck hopped over his stick.
- Ice was definitely tilted in the Griffins' favour as the 2nd period reached the midway point. Manitoba was still holding a 15-14 advantage in shots, aided by Grand Rapids missing the net on 3 shots from dangerous locations.
- Suess was hauled down as he tried to drive into the offensive zone and the Moose get their first PP chance of the period. Perfetti won the draw and Johnson took a shot from the point that was handled by Brattstrom. Manitoba kept pushing on the PP, but their best chances were blocked by Griffins' defenders.
- The Moose failed to score on the PP, but shortly after Eyssimont was hit with a long pass sending them in on a 3 on 2. Speedy Eyssimont showed patience skating the puck in until he snapped a shot to the top corner to give Manitoba a 2-0 lead with 6:18 left in the period.
- Moose Goal: Eyssimont (4) from Gawanke (2)
- Grand Rapids had a couple good shifts following the Moose goal and the puck took an odd bounce and ended up in front of Holm. In the scrum fighting for the puck, the Griffins' Yan was able to poke it by Holm and bring Grand Rapids to within a goal of the Moose.
- Griffins Goal: Yan (2) from Shine (2) and Renouf (1)
- Maier was set up by Suess for a 1 timer from the low slot, but Brattstrom was there to make the pad save.
- The final couple of minutes didn't provide opportunities for either team and the period ended with the Moose holding a 18 - 15 lead in shots. Manitoba 2 Grand Rapids 1
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Kovacevic (3), Malott (2), Eyssimont (2), Johnson (2) & Maier (2)
3rd Period Recap:
- Heinola did not come out for the start of the 3rd period, forcing the Moose to make do with 5 defensemen.
- With a penalty to Manitoba pending, Grand Rapids missed a wide open net by ringing a shot over Holm's shoulder to hit the post solidly.
- Manitoba started off killing the penalty well, just like last game they were able to make it difficult for the Griffins to gain the zone. Holm able to save & hold a shot from the point. After saving a high slot shot from Veleno, Holm was beat by a 1 timer from the point and Grand Rapids tied the game up.
- Griffins Goal: Murphy (1) from Barber (1) and Hirose (4) - PowerPlay
- A Gawanke turnover led to a good scoring chance for Grand Rapids, but Holm was able to close the door. After another save from Holm, the Griffins have the lead in shots for the first time of the game.
- A bad clearing attempt by Grand Rapids led to a delay of game penalty and Manitoba got a chance on the PP to retake the lead.
- Perfetti won the draw and the 1st PP unit gained control. Poganski deflected a puck and Gustafsson just missed getting to the rebound before it was cleared. Perfetti & Gus both got chances that were blocked before reaching the goalie. Malott almost broke through as the PP ended, but he was unable to control the puck and the chance was lost.
- With 13 minutes remaining in the 3rd, Grand Rapids is outshooting Manitoba 21-20.
- Malott deflected a Chisholm shot wide of the net, as the 1st line had a good shift. Manitoba pushback led to a couple of icings by Grand Rapids and a shot through traffic by Gawanke.
- Another good grind shift from the 4th line helped the Moose start to control more of the play. A hit that was a little late and a bit from behind on Meireles led to a brief scuffle between Caron & Shine that resulted in major penalties.
- Offensive zone shifts by the 2nd & 3rd lines allowed Manitoba to put some pressure on.
- Teams traded high danger chances that were saved, with Eyssimont snapping a shot on a 2 on 1 and Holm going across the net to make a big save on a Grand Rapids shot.
- Gustafsson fed a beautiful pass through a defenseman's legs to send Polei in all alone. He went forehand-backhand to beat Brattstrom before his shot solidly hit the goal post.
- Grand Rapids took a double face-off violation with just over 6 minutes left to give Manitoba another PP chance to take the lead. 1st PP unit was able to control the puck, but failed to create any chances in the first minute. The 2nd PP had a great chance as Eyssimont fed a pass to a pinching Lundmark, but the Griffins' Veleno was able to break up the pass. Malott & Eyssimont missed the net on a couple of shots and the PP came to an end.
- Reichel tested the Griffins' goalie with a backhand that created a rebound. Despite getting a couple whacks at the puck, neither Reichel or Gustafsson could get it by the keeper.
- 3:41 left in the period and the Moose were holding a 24-22 shot edge.
- Luke Johnson went down right after a face-off and had to be helped off the ice with an apparent right leg injury (he didn't put any weight on it).
- Reichel tipped a Gawanke point shot just over the crossbar in the last minute, but the period ended with the game knotted at 2-2. The Central Division opponents had to go to extra time to determine a winner. Final shots were 24-22 for Manitoba.
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Kovacevic (4), Eyssimont (3), Johnson (3), and Maier (3)
- Perfetti set up Gawanke for a 1 timer that was saved by Brattstrom. Gustafsson & Reichel followed with a good shift, creating a couple chances.
- Moose have possession for the 1st minute & a half before the Griffins took control, but they couldn't get any shots.
- Holm raced from the net to make a pokecheck to stop a Griffin breakaway. He scrambled back to his net and made another save to freeze the puck.
- Maier fed Malott in front of Brattstrom, but somehow the Griffin goalie kept the puck out.
- Eyssimont got his own rebound and was just stopped from wrapping it around the net for the winner.
- Gawanke made a nice behind the back pass to find Perfetti in the low slot, but he was stuck on his backhand and couldn't beat Brattstrom.
- Time ended just as Gawanke was about to hammer a 1 timer at the wide open net (nice feed by Perfetti).
- Manitoba were outshooting Grand Rapids 31 to 23 after the extra period.
- Manitoba Shot Leaders: Kovacevic (5), Eyssimont (4), Perfetti (3), Johnson (3), Malott (3), & Maier (3).
- Holm stopped Barber by staying with him as he went to the backhand.
- Perfetti lost the puck going for a backhand shot and couldn't score.
- Holm butterflyed to make the save on the Griffin's 2nd chance, as the player shot rather than deke.
- Eyssimont got off a decent shot, but Brattstrom was able to get a shoulder on it.
- A nice elevated shot by the Griffin player sailed over the crossbar after he beat Holm with a forehand-backhand move. Holm stayed with him enough to force a high shot.
- Gustafsson made a couple dekes before opening up Brattstrom's 5 hole and slipped it home for the game winner.
- Big 2 wins for Manitoba against a rival Central Division team this weekend.
- Great first game of the year for Swedish rookie Arvid Holm, turning aside 21 of 23 shots.
- Kovacevic, Chisholm & Gawanke had strong games on the backend, while Eyssimont, Malott, & Perfetti were impactful at forward.
- Suess drew multiple penalties, but is still searching for his 1st point of the season.
- Cole Maier was the hero in game 1 versus Grand Rapids with the only goal, but in this game he was the lone Moose to get a penalty. It was on that PP that the Griffins were able to tie the game in the 3rd.
- Manitoba improves to 3-2 and currently sits in 3rd place in the Central Division.
- 3 Stars of the Game:
- 1st: Arvid Holm - Manitoba
- 2nd: Mikey Eyssimont - Manitoba
- 3rd: Riley Barber - Grand Rapids
- Injuries to Ville Heinola & Luke Johnson could be concerning, but no updates were provided by the time I posted this article. Heinola was able to play for a period after his injury occured, so hopefully it isn't too serious. Didn't see what happened to Johnson at all, but the fact that he wasn't weight-bearing is bit worrisome.
- Up Next: Iowa Wild @ Manitoba Moose on Saturday, Oct 30th.