Preseason has finally come to an end, friends. Here’s one last recap from one last meaningless game.
Less than a minute into the first, Taylor Hall and Blake Wheeler get wrapped up and Wheeler has some choice words for Hall - this could be fun to watch tonight. Things remain a bit chippy and the Devils receive a pair of penalties. The Jets get on the board first courtesy of some fancy stick work by Mathieu Perreault. The Devils respond right away as Andy Greene gets one past Connor Hellebuyck. Kyle Palmieri charges the net and is rewarded with the Devils’ second goal less than a minute later. The first period ends with the Devils up 2-1.
Just 1:21 into the second, Sami Vatanen gets the feed from Palmieri and the Devils go up by two. Kyle Connor gets challenged by Keith Kinkaid who gets himself caught out of position. Wheeler drives towards the puck and an excellent defensive play by Damon Severson keeps this one out of the net. The top line keeps doing top line things as Connor lets go on this quick release after a gorgeous pass by Mark Scheifele. Score is 3-2 Devils at the end of the second.
Travis Zajac opens the scoring just 17 seconds into the third period. Joe Morrow loses a battle up the boards and both Morrow and Tyler Myers leave Zajac wide open in front of the net. Morrow (slightly) redeems himself with a nice snipe that bounces off of Skyler McKenzie who gets his third of preseason. The scoring wasn’t done there as Severson finds the high slot late in the third and the Devils finish off the Jets with a score of 5-3.
- As always, I find myself impressed with Josh Morrissey’s defensive play and positioning and frustrated by Morrow’s lack thereof.
- Kristian Vesalainen is 19 years old but his on-ice awareness and ability to shift his attentional focus is something else. The best part? The kid is all smiles and clearly having a great time with this club.
- Niku needs to shave. Like...yesterday.
- Really liking what I am seeing from Laine-Little-Perreault, but post your preferred start of the season line-ups below!
- Lose any lingering cobwebs, boys. The season starts shortly.