The playoffs are upon us and as a seasoned blog of non-playoff seasons, we thought we would cordially invite you to cheer for the Winnipeg Jets. Why, might you ask? There are many good reasons and here are some of them.
- We have Patrik Laine, Punisher of Pucks and Grower of Terrible Beards. I should not have to say more, but please note that Laine is one of the best young snipers in the game who misses eating reindeer to the point that the Jets actually try to source some out for him during the season. His beard is atrocious and if he shaves it first, the Jets need a long run so his beard gets national coverage.
- Tobias Enstrom deserves to have some good come of his injury-riddled time with the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets. He has quietly done so much for a defence that for so long lacked anything really.
- Good goaltending. I never thought I would be able to write those words in relation to the Jets, but here we are. Connor Hellebuyck has been more than good for the Jets this season and can easily goalie a team in the playoffs.
- Other young players. Sure you’ve heard of Laine, but have you heard of Nikolaj Ehlers, Kyle Connor, and Mark Scheifele? What about Josh Morrissey and Jacob Trouba? The Jets are loaded with young players from their years of bad and it is starting to pay off for them.
- The fans are fun. Aside from the blip where Jets fans chanted “Katy Perry” at Cory Perry, Jets fans are fun people to be around until TNSE gets involved. They once tried to have a Helmet Party after Adam Pardy’s helmet was stolen in Chicago. Sure, we don’t sing Let it Be during goal reviews, but we are still fun to be around.
- Not a lot of national coverage. Sure, the Jets have gotten written about on Sportsnet, but by in large, there is not a lot of coverage on the Jets outside of Winnipeg. They do not get over-saturated in the National media. It’s great. Truly, it is.
- We have a lot of fun Twitter personalities. Whether it is SadSackJetsFan who started a fund to “pay” Ben Chiarot’s fine (raise money for the Christmas Cheer Board), media personalities like Randy Turner and Melissa Martin who can’t help but make jokes with the rest of us, or the fans who come up with names like “ItsYaBoi” for Kyle Connor just because. We try and have fun in Winnipeg.
If you are currently looking for a team to cheer for in the playoffs, the Jets are the perfect one for you. So pull up a chair, eat some honey dill sauce with your chicken fingers, and enjoy the ride.