Going into this game, even with the Winnipeg Jets sitting many players, I thought an easy win would be had simply because the Montreal Canadiens are that bad. And yet, just like last night in Ottawa, the Habs were able to take the Jets to the brink.
The highlight of the night was Sami Niku scoring the Jets fourth goal only 24 seconds after the Habs tied the game at 3. Niku played well in his first game to the point where he was hard to notice. That is exactly what Niku did and to cap it off with a goal is pretty sweet.
Jets won in overtime with the secret weapon Kyle Connor coming through again in the extra frame.
- Before we talk about the Jets, it is time to pay tribute to the goalie who is first in games played by a goalie for the Montreal Canadiens, Olympic Champion, and Hitter of Chris Kreider: Carey Price. Price might be struggling this year, but his ability to dominate games himself has been second to none and he does so while secretly wanting to be a cowboy. Also, his daughter is adorable.
Liv Price seems to be enjoying herself at the Bell Centre tonight! pic.twitter.com/7okvhiJyvb— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) April 2, 2018
- Patrik Laine is back on the score sheet thanks to the power play. For those who do not know, the Habs have an atrocious penalty kill so this battle between an unstoppable force and a moveable object should be fun for Jets fans (and Habs fans who want the Jets to be better than the Leafs).
Patrik Laine doing Patrik Laine things, 1-0 Jets. pic.twitter.com/WXpvFtZEpr— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) April 4, 2018
- Nikolaj Ehlers scores because of some trickery aka not passing to Laine. He also scores because it is a three on one with Karl Alzner as the defenceman. Yes, the Habs are terrible and yes this game is very fun for the Jets.
Price cheats towards Laine, Nik Ehlers scores on the 3-on-1. pic.twitter.com/bE3Bwc1flk— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) April 4, 2018
- Scary moment when Brandon Tanev took a slap shot to the ribs. The referee did the right thing and whistled the play dead immediately and then explained to Brendan Gallagher why he did so, which is also the right thing to do. Hopefully Tanev is okay and the Jets stop blocking shots already.
Scary moment as Brandon Tanev takes a Jeff Petry slap shot into the ribs. pic.twitter.com/Zv49JTJ3OL— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) April 4, 2018
- I shudder to think about how bad this game would be for the Habs if the Jets had dressed a full roster. It would have also been painful to watch as a fan. Alas, the Jets were kind to me.
- Dustin Byfuglien took the most Dustin Byfuglien penalty by tripping a guy who would have simply beat him for an icing. Why Dustin, why?
- See what happens when you play Jack Roslovic? He scores. Play him more.
- The Jets ability to let bad teams remain in games just makes life more fun. Be positive and let the good times roll.
- Sportsnet makes the excellent point that Michael McCarron was stupid to potentially through away a powerplay by going after Tyler Myers. Even though he did not take away the Habs powerplay, he could have. Also, bad hit Myers.
Michael McCarron making friends with Tyler Myers after Myers boards Daniel Carr. pic.twitter.com/96w2JBUHO2— Scott Matla (@scottmatla) April 4, 2018
- Sami Niku got called up. Sami Niku scored a goal. Sami Niku is good at hockey. I like Sami Niku.
- Byfulien needs to stop taking penalties and this time is seems like he kicked the ref (eagle-eyed Scott Matla saw that) and the Jets let the Habs and there not good, very bad team score again on the power play. It is imperative that they do not get in penalty trouble in the playoffs.
- Kyle Connor: 30 goal scorer. Say it again: he needs more time.