The Winnipeg Jets played a much better game overall in game two against the Nashville Predators. Thanks to a last minute goal from Mark Scheifele this game went to overtime where the Predators won it after two periods.
The Jets looking much better is reflected in the score. They were able to take the play to the Predators for stretches of the game and it was a huge step up from game one. They were able to outshoot the Preds and look like they belong in the building this time. It might have something to do with the fact Toby Enstrom was fully in game shape again amongst other reasons.
Mark Scheifele had a standout game, scoring the tying goal in the dying minutes of play. He has been fantastic in the playoffs and deserves all the praise he has been getting. Solidifying the Jets one-two punch at centre is Paul Stastny, who garnered praise on NBCSN tonight for his all-around usefulness and skill.
Now it is time for the Jets to return home where they will have last change and be back to getting wonderful contrasting pictures with the whiteout crowd.
- The Winnipeg Jets got scored on by the Ryan Johansen only 27 seconds into the game partially because the Jets were very static in their own zone and kind of puck watching. However, according to Paul Maurice the fast goal helped them because they were able to dial in after the goal. This proved to be true and the Jets played a much better first period.
- While a lot has been made of the Predators offensively geared defence, the Jets are able to generate a lot from their defencemen as well. Dustin Byfuglien is the main person responsible for this, but Jacob Trouba can go on adventures as well and Tyler Myers did a good job of stepping up in the first round.
- Dustin Byfuglien could have set Patrik Laine up for a beautiful goal, but missed because he did not see Laine was wide open with PK Subban cheating over onto him. Could have been so pretty.
- Now to Subban. I will admit I really enjoy watching him and I also know that he has a history of diving, but I will not accuse him of diving after his scuffle with Laine because it appeared that Paul Stastny hit him the ribs. That said, sometimes there are times that he is too much and that is why some fans boo him. There is nothing wrong with it and it does not have anything to do with him doing things like the triple low five. Instead, it has to do with the history of diving and embellishment. He is however, extremely talented and should scare Jets fans sometimes.
- Whenever I watch the Predators, I am reminded of that powerplay for Team Canada at the World Juniors in Ottawa during the Jordan Eberle years. Canada played the umbrella format the Subban was dynamite in the Scheifele spot with Ryan Ellis manning the point in his full cage.
- Matt Hendricks could be the nicest man on the planet, but that is no reason for him to play in the playoffs. He cost the Jets the go-ahead goal and took a bad penalty at the same time. Why does he play over the likes of Marko Dano again?
- Brandon Tanev is a player whose body is too fast for his brain. Maybe the increased speed of the playoffs helps him in this regard because he looks slightly better and definitely scores more in the playoffs. Lovely to see.
- Yes, Toby Enstrom got walked by Ryan Johansen on the Preds fourth goal, but did you see Ben Chiarot play any of the game. Case closed (Toby, please don’t let that happen again).
- Olivier Bouchard has pointed out good young players to watch even when the counting stats are not there with them. One of the players he pointed out a couple years ago was a young forward named Viktor Arvidsson. Olivier has not failed me yet.
I’m sitting here shouting at Dustin Byfuglien all game about how he is a try hard and a wannabe.— Ben McGreevy (@McGreevyBen) April 30, 2018
The Jets fans behind me kept cracking up.
Finally. They told me they were his parents.