The Winnipeg Jets were incredibly lucky to get out of this game with a point. The Washington Capitals went Harlem Globetrotters on them. Thanks to Connor Hellebuyck, who had another stellar game, the Jets were able to hang in there long enough for two kids to score goals to keep the game tied until the end of regulation.
This is a game that you can say the Jets really felt their injuries. They looked not so great on defence, but based on who they were missing can you blame them? As for the play of the players who played, it was okay. It is hard to evaluate the Jets until they are closer to a full roster. Also, free Nic Petan.
As for overtime, thank god playoff overtime is five on five. The Jets are not the smartest at three on three doing things like failing to change when they need to. It’s small, but it makes a difference. On the other hand, Dustin Byfuglien had an excellent stretch pass to create a two on one and then burned himself. C’est la vie.
- The Jets had one job: do not take penalties. The Jets did one things: take penalties. The Capitals responded by Alex Ovechkin scoring. Predictable.
- Dane on Dane violence is rare and excellent when it happens. When it ends with one Dane scoring a goal, it can be lovely. In this case Nikolaj Ehlers scoring off of a Lars Eller turnover is wonderful.
- Fun fact: Olaf Eller, Lars’ father used to coach Nikolaj.
- The Caps look like they’re just toying with the Jets now and it shows how far the Jets have to go before being a top team in the league.
- Alex Ovechkin with NHL goal 600. Say what you want about him, but his skill and love of the game is captivating.
- Jamie McLennan has been a delight for the past few games. Tonight he noted how he only played Ovechkin once which is a good thing because he would have scored a lot more goals if they had played against each other more often.
- I have been missing a lot of Jets news lately, but it sounds like a lot of players are returning to health including Jacob Trouba and Adam Lowry. On the other hand, Steve Mason is out for three weeks with a knee scope.
- Patrik Laine is like baby Ovechkin and I am here for it. He even has the same “sweet spot”.
- It is not concerning for the Winnipeg Jets when Matt Hendricks gets hurt. He does not make the Jets a better team and he should be sitting. I wish an injury was not the only reason he was taken out of games.
- I’m going to start a Vezina campaign for Connor Hellebuyck because he deserves it and I think someone needs to advocate for him.