The Winnipeg Jets returned from the All Star Break in style by beating the Tampa Bay Lightning in a tightly contested game. Thanks to the lovely and wonderful Kyle Connor, Patrik Laine, and Bryan Little. Michael Hutchinson had a strong game in goal and got a lot of help from his goal posts, but as the saying goes you have to be good to be luck and lucky to be good.
This game was not a work of art, but we had some lovely colour commentary from Ray Ferraro who made some timely comments about various plays in the game, gave everyone’s favourite utility man Mathieu Perrault some good props, and even poked fun at how the NHL can have moments when ten guys are trying to get the puck away from the wall. Anyways, the Jets won and that’s all that matters.
- Watching Nikolaj Ehlers play is like watching someone play in fast-forward at times. There was at least one rush where I thought the game sped up just for him when he had the puck.
- Jack Roslovic has been good since being called up. That first round is looking like one that does more for the Jets than any other first round they have had. To get Ehlers, Roslovic, and Kyle Connor in one year is like starting out on third base and still hitting a home run.
- One does not simply mention that Braydon Coburn was an Atlanta Thrashers draft pick without mentioning he was traded for Alexei Zhitnik.
- No one can blame Michael Hutchinson for Matthew Peca’s goal. Yes, I have been harping on the fact that the Jets are playing their most fatigued goalie when Eric Comrie is available, but no goalie is making a save when they have to send out an Amber Alert to find their defence.
- Adam Lowry is such a key piece for the Jets. With him they have a legitimate third line centre who can defend well. Without him, they seem to struggled to defend at times. You can really see the difference in the Jets play with and without him.
- Kyle Connor has replaced Mathieu Perreault as the Fourth Line Jesus. Having a skilled player on that line makes such a difference. Now to play Marko Dano on that line as well and you have a glorious fourth line.
- Patrik Laine only has one multi-goal game this year and that means his consistency has improved. Now, for him to start consistently having two goal games...
- Laine is a wonderful hockey player who has all the potential in the world as long as no one counts facial hair as an area that he has potential in.
- I love Blake Wheeler as a player, but he is not a centre and this experiment needs to end soon because it is starting to hurt the Jets. Thankfully Lowry is back to relieve some of the pressure, but he is not a centre and that’s okay.
- Michael Hutchinson looked really good for a guy who has done a lot of travelling lately. Ray Ferraro is probably correct in saying that he will sleep like a rock tonight.