It's time for the NHL's annual awards show spectacle, this year hosted by Will Arnett, he of the generally decent 2012 NHL Awards skits. One knows they're in for a fun night when the host gives quotes such as, "I'm excited to host the 2016 NHL Awards because we all know in 2017 I'll be too busy celebrating the Leafs winning the Stanley Cup".
Tonight's races may not feature any Winnipeg Jets horses, but there are a number of interesting narratives nonetheless:
- Will Drew Doughty finally walk away with the Norris Trophy, an award he's never actually been snubbed for? To what degree would this be a case of Erik Karlsson being, as the National Post put it, "victimized by (the) Ottawa Senators’ futility"?
- Does Ben Bishop win the Vezina before being traded to Calgary?
- What will carry greater weight: Artemi Panarin's age, or his 77 points in 80 games?
- How long until the league renames the Selke the Patrice Bergeron Trophy?
- If Alexander Ovechkin wins the Mark Messier Leadership Award and isn't there to receive it, does it make a sound?
- And as Lindy Ruff joked, who will win the "coach for the year" award (in Ruff's case, this specifically refers to "how long until the head coach takes the fall for Kari Lehtonen and Antti Niemi")?
Find the broadcast details, award finalists and odds below. Be sure to share your thoughts, feelings and reactions in the comments section as the night unfolds!
How to watch the 2016 NHL Awards
7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT | Wednesday, June 22
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas
American TV: NBCSN | Canadian TV: Sportsnet
Live streaming on NBC Live Extra
NHL Awards presenters, including Tony X pic.twitter.com/VJI2mcrkoh— Sean Leahy (@Sean_Leahy) June 21, 2016
2016 NHL Awards Finalists
- Hart Trophy (league MVP): Patrick Kane, Jamie Benn, Sidney Crosby.
- Norris Trophy (best defenseman): Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns.
- Vezina Trophy (best goaltender): Braden Holtby, Ben Bishop, Jonathan Quick.
- Calder Trophy (top rookie): Artemi Panarin, Connor McDavid, Shayne Gostisbehere.
- Selke Trophy (best defensive forward): Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron, Ryan Kesler.
- Lady Byng Trophy (most gentlemanly forward): Anze Kopitar, Aleksander Barkov, Loui Eriksson.
- Masterton Trophy (dedication / perseverance): Jaromir Jagr, Mats Zuccarello, Pascal Dupuis.
- NHL Foundation Award (community service): Matt Martin, P.K. Subban, Mark Giordano.
- Mark Messier Leadership Award: Alex Ovechkin, Shea Weber, John Tavares.
- Ted Lindsay Award (MVP as voted by the players): Patrick Kane, Jamie Benn, Braden Holtby.
- Jack Adams Award (best coach): Lindy Ruff, Barry Trotz, Gerard Gallant.
- General Manager of the Year: Jim Rutherford, Brian MacLellan, Jim Nill.
2016 NHL Awards Odds (via Bovada)
- Hart: Patrick Kane (1/10), Jamie Benn (7/1), Sidney Crosby (7/1)
- Norris: Erik Karlsson (5/8), Drew Doughty (2/1), Brent Burns (4/1)
- Vezina: Braden Holtby (1/30), Ben Bishop (7/1), Jonathan Quick (15/1)
- Calder: Artemi Panarin (4/15), Connor McDavid (3/1), Shayne Gostisbehere (8/1)
- Selke: Anze Kopitar (10/11), Patrice Bergeron (1/1), Ryan Kesler (6/1)
- Lady Byng: Anze Kopitar (1/2), Aleksander Barkov (3/1), Loui Eriksson (10/3)
- Jack Adams: Gerard Gallant (5/6), Barry Trotz (1/1), Lindy Ruff (8/1)