Hello everyone! Recorded on May 7th, Episode 35 of the AIH 20416 Podcast featured Evander Kane lamentations, 2016 NHL Draft talk, a Mezzanine Sleepover plug and the proper way to pronounce Patrik Laine.
We were first joined by Jack Goods (@GoodsOnSports), Editor with Die By The Blade, SB Nation's home for all things Buffalo Sabres. It's always a pleasure to chat with Jack, especially seeing as how he's going to sneak us into the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. Aside from wacky Steven Stamkos speculation, topics included:
- Selecting 8th overall and what the Buffalo Sabres need
- Jack Eichel's lack of a Calder Trophy nod
- What kind of defenceman best compliments pending RFA Rasmus Ristolainen
- Evander Kane and Zach Bogosian impressions after their first season in Buffalo
- Robin Lehner: franchise goaltender?
Next up was Les Mavus (@hockeygoalieeh) in his Round 2 appearance on the podcast. The writer with Matchsticks and Gasoline, SB Nation's Calgary Flames destination, managed to avoid sounding completely crestfallen over
the Bob Hartley firing selecting 6th overall. Our conversation touched upon:
- Flames nation's reaction to falling in the draft, and how the result relates to Calgary's needs
- The failings of Bob Hartley, now-former Flames head coach
- Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau and a tricky cap situation
- Mark Giordano's lack of a Norris Trophy nomination
- Having any regrets over the Michael Frolik signing
Last but certainly not least was Steve Kournianos (@TheDraftAnalyst), founder and publisher with The Draft Analyst. Check out their website, Twitter account and YouTube channel for an abundance of prospect news, notes and opinions! Aside from the obligatory Kyle Connor question, our discussion featured:
- Gushing over Patrik Laine and all his name's various pronunciations (correct and otherwise)
- Whether there should be a 1st overall debate between Laine and Auston Matthews, plus NHL comparables for both
- The Edmonton Oilers, wingers vs defencemen and Jakob Chychrun
- Dante Fabbro's chances of falling to the Winnipeg Jets at 22nd overall
- Which European skaters are flying under the radar, thanks to Matthews, Laine and Jesse Puljujärvi stealing the spotlight
In addition to everything just mentioned, click on one of the links below to hear my Clayton Keller sadness!
1. Take a gander online here.
2. Visit our page on CyberEars.
3. Download the .mp3 file directly (right-click link, Save As..., etc etc).
4. Listen, subscribe and rate us on iTunes.
Tune in, let us know how we did in the Comments section below, and be sure to send your questions, concerns, thoughts and haterade our way by tweeting @AIH20416 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Remember to follow Alan at @sliiiiip and myself at @PhilipAIver. Thanks for reading, and thanks for listening!