Oh my. So many things to say after that outing. What a win. What a fun game for Jets fans. So much excitement and so much of it coming from the team's youth. The outcome, a dominant 8-2 victory for the Winnipeg Jets win over the stars with a long list of standouts and plenty of excitement beyond the scoring.
1) Mark Scheifele got things going early with a beautiful finish off a 2-on-1 feed from Nikolaj Ehlers. This goal came at 3:06. It was the second odd man rush for the pair, with the previous being broken up (Scheifele's pass). Ehlers would finish the night with a pair of assists. It was apparent very early that the Scheifele line would give the Stars fits.
2) Next man up was Patrick Laine. The young Finn is doing everything possible to remove any caution from Jets' fans optimism. Laine, for the second straight game, tipped in a point shot - proving that he can score dirty just as well as he can score pretty. This kid is special.
3) The first period ended with the Jets ahead 2-0 with the play fairly even - despite the lopsided shot clock (14-5 Dallas). The second period would be pretty much all Jets.
4) The second began with a quick power play goal by the Stars, but that would be the last time the game looked close. Laine responded 3 minutes later with a PP marker of his own, his 6th of the season. It didn't end there, Laine scored again at 10:07, finishing off a beautiful feed from Scheifele on yet another odd man rush. This line is legitimate looking like one of the most dangerous units in the league.
5) Marko Dano also did himself a some major favours tonight. It started with a big hit on Jordie Benn. Jordie got up and tried to instigate a fight. Dano declined. Result, power play Jets. This drew a loud applause from the hometown fans. The fact that he scored to help his team capitalize was icing on the cake. The goals was the result of a greasy net-front battle. This kid is always in the dirt.
6) Mark Scheifele would score his second goal of the game before the end of the period, bringing the score to 6-1. Scheifele entered the game with 7 goals, one less than Patrick Laine who was tied for the league lead. He left with 9, but lost ground on his line mate. Laine now has 11. How lucky are we to get to watch this kid blossom? Wrote that thinking Laine, but it applies to them both.
7) Nic Petan drew a pair of assists on the night including one off a beautiful feed to Scheif on the aforementioned goal. Nic looked comfortable playing the half wall on the PP. Could he be the answer for the second unit?
8) Things also got chippy in the second. Antoine Roussel had been hacking at the Jets young stars all night. He took penalties for tripping Ehlers and Roughing Laine. The Jets were intent on making him pay. He declined fights with both Lowry and Thorburn, suckering the later in a penalty just before the end of the second. The chippiness would continue into the third.
9) The third period was a bit of a mess, with a number of penalties, multiple fights and a few more goals. Tyler Seguin scored, because he always scores against the Jets. Andrew Copp and Adam Lowry returned fire for the Jets bringing the final to 8-2. Tyler Myers assisted on both goals.
10) And then there were the fights. Dustin Byfuglien finally may Roussel pay. He grabbed him late and fed him some shots. Roussel smartly turtled. Tanev found himself in a tussle too. More excitement to finish an already exhilarating affair.
What a game!