This is just getting sad. The Jets put up a valiant effort but it wasn't enough to snap their losing streak in Minnesota. The first period was very back and fourth with both teams getting chances, most notably was Josh Morrissey's. He just could not get the puck high enough to pass Devan Dubnyk who put on another stellar performance for the Wild.
In the second, the Jets almost found themselves on the board when Nikolaj Ehlers rang one off the post. In the dying minute of the second, three Jets followed the puck behind the net, leaving Mikko Koivu wide open in front to put it past Connor Hellebuyck (glove side, by the way). Blake Wheeler scored off a deflection in the third, but a coach's challenge overruled it after the play was deemed to be offside. Josh Morrissey was called for back-to-back holding penalties. The second one proved costly as Jonas Brodin scored a mere thirteen seconds into the power play.
After a tripping call to Jared Spurgeon, Blake Wheeler once again found the back of the net and this time it counted. Unfortunately that was the Jets could muster as Zach Parise scored on an empty net in the final minute to make the score 3-1 for the Wild.
A Few Thoughts
1. Alexander Burmistrov made a nice behind the legs play to Marko Dano, but how much longer is he going to last on this team? I wrote him off after last year, and he has still failed to impress at all this year.
2. Is Morrissey going to be in PoMo's doghouse after that second penalty? Will he be forced to play with Mark Stuart?
3. When the lines were revealed this morning, I think a lot of people thought their were some ugly combinations after the first line. It showed tonight.
4. Speaking of lines, I would have preferred to have seen Laine and Stafford switch. WIth Petan being a natural playmaker, and Laine being a natural goal scorer, that should be a match made in heaven to pair those two up. Petan's success in the NHL hinges on playing with offensive minded players. Laine is a prime example of that.
5. Is the book out on Connor Hellebuyck? Seems like a lot of people have been aiming for the glove side and succeeding.
What were your thoughts on tonight's game? Let us know in the comments below.