The Jets had a lot of chances throughout tonight's game, but they came up short to the Dallas Stars, losing 3-2. Even with Mark Stuart and Chris Thorburn in the line up, the team was unable to change there overall performance as of late.
The Jets had a few good chances during the first period from Joel Armia and Shawn Matthias but they had no luck. The Stars on the other hand were able to get on the board late in the period thanks to Brett Ritchie. Drew Stafford was hurt and did not return for the rest of the game. It is unclear how serious the injury is long term at the writing of this article. After losing Bryan Little indefinitely, and the Jacob Trouba situation remaining unsolved, the gets problems may have gotten from bad to worst.
The pressure from the Jets continued on but not before a power play goal by Patrick Eaves. Paul Maurice threw out a coach's challenge believing that Michael Hutchinson was interfered with after Josh Morrissey fell on top of him but the goal stood. Joel Armia had an absolutely stellar shift afterwards, getting multiple chances to put the puck in the net and even showing off a few moves in the process. Luckily for him, his hard work paid off as he scored on a wraparound with five seconds left in the period.
More chances for the Jets in the third with the exact same result as the last two periods. Tyler Seguin eventually put the Stars back up by two. With four minutes left in the game, Chris Thorburn was called on a tripping penalty and less than a minute later, Adam Lowry joined him for a high-stick. Dustin Byfuglien rang on off the post and Jamie Benn checked Blake Wheeler into the net, knocking it off which caused a full on Donnybrook in and around the Stars bench. Both Benn and Wheeler were given penalties and the Jets were once again forced to pull their goaltender late in the game. Mark Scheifele was able to score with ten seconds left. But it was too little too late as the Jets lost 3-2 in Dallas.
1. The Stars came into this game with a vastly depleted forward line up but Kyle Connor found himself in the press box in favour of Chris Thorburn. If there was one game that could boost his confidence and potentially get him on the score sheet it was tonight. Connor is better served playing in the AHL then sitting in the press box if the Jets are unhappy with his play.
2. Joel Armia has continued to impress. After flashes of brilliance last year, he has been noticeable in every game so far.
3. Why is Adam Lowry still on the first line power play unit? Unfortunately, he was on the ice during Scheifele's goal. So he will continue to be used in that scenario.
4. If Stafford is out for a few games, who do the Jets bring up? Dano, Petan, Copp, someone else?
5. Gary Lawless brought up during the second intermission that Dustin Byfuglien has been playing 29 minutes a night with Jacob Trouba sitting out. If that doesn't make the Jets want to solve Trouba's contract soon, I don't know what will.
6. The second goal that the Stars scored was all kinds of ugly.
7. Despite the loss, the Jets could have easily won tonight's game if a few bounces went their way.
8. I saw some people mentioning that the Jets goalie situation isn't solved. It may or may not be, but bringing back Pavelec isn't the answer.
9. I hope Paul Postma is back in the line up on Thursday.
10. Speaking of Armia again, if his play continues to trend upwards, how soon do we potentially see him in the top six?
The Jets will face the Stars again on Thursday, this time at the MTS Centre. What were your thoughts on the game? Let us know in the comment section below!