After dominating the Edmonton Oilers in a loss the Winnipeg Jets headed South as did their already dire playoff hopes.
1. It just wouldn't be a Winnipeg Jets game without an early penalty. Jacob Trouba was called for tripping at 3:17 and the Jets found themselves trailing just four and a half minutes into the game. The goal deflected off of the stick of Tobias Enstrom. Michael Hutchinson really didn't have a chance.
2. The Flames potted a pair in the first. The second came at 10:23. This was immediately followed by another Jets penalty, because... why not. This time it was Stafford that drew the ire of the refs.
3. The first period was flat out ugly. Outplayed, penalty problems, next to nothing good... That is until the 5 second mark. Tyler Myers followed Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd up ice and buried a nice feed form 26.
4. The second period was better for the Jets, but they once again found themselves shorthanded a pair of times. Mark Stuart and Jacob Trouba drew the PIMs. Trouba's came during the Stuart penalty leading to a 5 on 3. The Jets successfully killed it off, but the penalty problem persists.
5. The second period was relatively event free. Perhaps the most notable plus for the Jets can via the line blender. Joel Armia made a handful of strong plays and saw himself switch spots with Chris Thorburn. He remained on the third line throughout the game. It will be interesting to see if it extends beyond the holidays.
6. It may just be me, but this game was painful.
7. The third period saw another Calgary powerplay, this time it was Mathieu Perreault. He isn't a frequent offender, but it really isn't about the who. The Jets ended up shorthanded five times in this outing and they only drew one penalty of their own. The penalties are crazy.
8. Who was good for the Jets? Wheeler. Armia. Maybe Michael Hutchinson?
9. The loss doesn't hurt, I've already given up on the season. The lack of movement on Byfuglien and Ladd remains the biggest cause for concern in my mind.
10. Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan, Dougie Hamilton - they were all rock solid tonight. I hate being reminded that other teams also have young talent and I especially hate that their young talent is better than the Jets'.
Sorry for the sad sack recap.