For the second time in a week, the Winnipeg Jets played well in a hockey game! Tonight the obliterated a Toronto Maple Leafs team in front of a pile of adoring fans. The final score was 6-1 Jets. It was nice.
1. The Winnipeg Jets started off the game in a fashion that we are used to. They allowed a quick goal and started to pile up PIMs. The first few minutes were definitely uneasy.
2. Thankfully Drew Stafford was able to pot an equalizer. It was his first of two goals and it came at the end of a beautiful series of passes. Mark Scheifele and Mathieu Perreault netted the assists.
3. Stafford's second goal came on the powerplay. Nikolaj Ehlers hammered a puck off the iron. The loose puck landed on Stafford's stick. He then pushed it into a yawning cage. Good on Staff. Mark Scheifele drew the secondary assist on this one.
4. As nice as it was to see Staff get back on the board , Mark Scheifele's play was the early story in my opinion. He made nice passes leading up to both goals and flashed a number of other times.
5. Scheifele also scored the Jets' third goal. The kid had himself a very nice night. He was the best pmayer on the ice IMO and that has very little to do with the points.
6. The second line had a pile of fun, but the top line of Andrew Ladd, Bryan Little and Blake Wheeler continued to be incredibly productive. Ladd and Little scored goals while Wheeler made a pretty pass to draw an assist (Little's goal).
7. Another standout for the Jets was - REPLAY. The Jets won a coaches challenge and had a Maple Leafs goal reversed. It was nice!
8. One last standout for the Jets was Anthony Peluso! Not really. He played and he scored. That doesn't happen very often.
9. Also worth a major mention...
Connor Hellebuyck received his second NHL start tonight. He played well and he allowed fewer than 4 goals. This was a big change for a Jets team that received atrocious goaltending throughout the month of October.
10. Wins are #nice. I suspect Connor Hellebuyck will be back in net on Saturday.