The Jets close out the preseason with a trip to Calgary and a depleted roster. Andrew Ladd was kept out for precautionary reasons again, as was Adam Lowry. Mark Scheifele was also scratched late.
The game wasn't an amazing display of hockey, but it did have more of a regular season feel than what we've seen. In thenJets the Jets won 3-2 and both teams are likely eager to jump into regular season play.
1. The Jets didn't allow a shot on goal through the first 7+ minutes of the first period. They allowed 15 in the following 13 minutes. It was weird and bad. They settled down in the later stages of the game.
2. The consistent injuries have left the Jets with an inconsistent lineup and a pile of line combinations. The fact that this continued through the final game of the preseason has to bring about doubt about early chemistry.
3. Speaking of injures, Mathieu Perreault left tonight's game favoring his left knee. Losing Perreault would be a large blow.
4. Losing Perreault would also likely secure Nic Petan's spot on the team to start the season. Petan has been impressive and likely would have stuck regardless, but he may be in for a bigger role than was originally anticipated.
5. Thomas Raffl may also benefit from a Perreault injury. Raffl had another strong game and looks like a solid fit on this team. Signing Raffl will cause many to wonder why somebody like Lee Stempniak wasn't signed, but it looks like the right call at this point.
6. JC Lipon is theother player that could potentially stick as result of the injury. Lipon picked up an assist tonight and continued to hit, but wasn't often notable.
7. Ben Chiarot was notable again. Benny has been a standout performer in almost every preseason game and he's scored a lot too. I believe I said the same last time, but Chiarot looks faster and more confident than in the past. His goal was a beauty.
8. Drew Stafford also stood out in a good way today. Drew led the team with 6 shots on goal and potted an empty netter late in the third. After giving him a big money deal, the Jets will need more of the same from Drew.
9. I sort of touched on this earlier, but even after 7 games of preseason I don't think I can nail down a single line for opening night.
10. The next time the Jets lace up, the game will mean something. I can't wait! ...but I will have to. The regular season gets under way on Thursday for the Jets. Final cuts will have to be in on Tuesday.
What did you make of tonight's game? How do you feel about the Jets' preseason and what will come?