The Jets took too many penalties this year. This is a known fact, but this of course wasn't an across the board issue. Some players play a clean game while others yo-yo'd in and out of the sin bin. While total PIMs are important, there is another - very underrated - metric in penalties drawn that deserves some attention. Drawing a penalty leads to a powerplay and that is a big value add to anyteam. Let's take a look at which Jets took and drew the most penalties.
Winnipeg Jets 2013-14 Penalty Plus Minus via Extraskater.com:
- Important note: It is normal for defenders to take more penalties than they draw.
- That said, the PIM numbers that the Winnipeg Jets D piled up are still really high.
- Go Scheifele! Trouba too. This was a hugely underrated element of the game that the Jets' two stud rookies brought forth this year.
- Ellerby way up top was a bit of a surprise. Guess he played a clean game.
- Eric O'Dell ended up at plus-1 despite getting flagged a bunch early. Skate. Work hard. Draw PIMs.
- Evander Kane took way to many penalties, but he also drew a boat load and the net result wasn't horrible.
- Blake Wheeler drew the most. Speed kills.
- On that note - Holy crap! Stew drew a lot too (obviously some of this is off-setting minors and fights), but man oh man did he take a lot of PIMs.
- Speaking of leadership, Olli Jokinen was a disaster in this regard.
- Chris Thorburn racking PIMs is no surprise.
- Toby took an uncharacteristically high number of penalties this year. Hopefully this was an aberration.
- Being big isn't always kind to Dustin Byfuglien. We have all seen him earn extra PIMs for what appears to be clean contact. Still, minus-17 is not good and was in fact worst on the team. This has to improve.
All numbers are from Extra Skater