What seemed like it was going to be the Oilers first win in 10 games turned into a win for the Jets in overtime. The Jets somehow managed to win this game, you guys! Here's a basic summary for you all:
First Period, Second Period and Third Period:
Last little part of the third period: YES. Dustin Byfuglien woke the heck up late in the third and scored to send this game to overtime. This also saved the Jets from losing to the Oilers. No offense, Oilers. But offense. You are not good right now and it's sad because you have players I actually enjoy on your team. But enough about them, let's talk more Jets!
Overtime: Another giant, resounding YES as Mathieu Perreault gets a goal with a pretty quick tip in courtesy of Evander Kane and Jacob Trouba to win the game.
1) That was young Jacob Trouba with the first goal of the evening. The kid looked pretty darn good out there tonight if I may say so. That's more like the Trouba I want and need on the Jets. Turn down the suck and do that more often, okay? Love your face, kid. (Weird Wednesday fact about yours truly: I am so tempted to call him Young Jakey-Jake Troubs-Troubs every time I write about him.)
2) Hey Andrew Ladd? You feeling okay? Rough night for you, hey? Some mistakes? A penalty? Okay. It's okay. Paul Postma had a rough one too and he looked pretty lost out there. Hug it out and get back to being good, okay?
3) Almost a flying Mark Scheifele goal! But alas, it turned into a basic Scheifele Down. I'm contemplating creating a table to count and quantify the amount of times the poor guy falls/is knocked down/what have you over the course of the season. He is and can be such a fantastic player, but looks like a baby giraffe on roller skates out there at least once a game.
4) Say what you want about him but Evander Kane was good out there tonight. That is all I'm going to say about that because I have pretty much already gushed about Evander Kane in the game day thread (PS: I win on that one. He was definitely one to watch tonight. Game: Blouses).
5) I got a good chuckle out of this:
edmonton goal scored by butthead pic.twitter.com/KOX2Bh0TtK— ThingsJetFansLike (@JetFansLike) December 4, 2014
6) Ben Scrivens has long been one of my favorite people and that he's using his fame in Edmonton to promote mental wellness and help reduce the stigma associated with mental illness touches my heart in ways I can't even begin to explain. His masks as of late have all been designed by individuals with schizophrenia and they are beautiful works of art. You'll likely never ever see this but thank you for being you, Mr. Scrivens.
7) Ondrej Pavelec looked good again tonight. I am continually surprised by what he's managing to do, he wasn't superawesomemegagreat, but I'll take a performance like that over some of his other stinkers. Now, before I get ahead of myself, I realize that this will potentially all change. A day may come when he fails in his job, but it is not this day! A game in which the pucks fly past him in droves and he is pulled from his home within the net, but it is not this day! (If you didn't read that in Viggo Mortensen/Aragorn's voice, you did it wrong.)(Alternatively, if you have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sad for you).
8) I miss Toby Enstrom. He's left a huge hole in the lineup that's proving difficult to fill. Come back soon okay, you beautiful Prince of Defence.
9) Anthony Peluso had a fight with Luke Gazdic that ended up looking like the worst choreographed version of the Ice Capades I have ever seen. Is this Peluso thing done yet? I know many people who could take that spot and fill it with less facepunching and more skill.
10) Thanks for the jinx!
We don't mean to alarm anyone, but the Oilers are 15 minutes away from their first win against the Western Conference this year.— SB Nation NHL (@SBNationNHL) December 4, 2014