The Winnipeg Jets will be changing conferences and with this change will come a whole new set of divisional opponents. Every division is different and being able to win games within your division will be the number one priority under the new playoff format. What will it take to win in the new Western Conference? Many have cited team size as a primary concern for Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. Is this a valid concern?
Teams Ranked by Size:
|Conference||Team||HT||HT Rank||Wt||WT Rank|
- The numbers represent the average height and weight of everybody that dressed for these team.
- Goalies were not included in this analysis.
- The Jets are a pretty big team ranking 4th in both height and weight.
- The Jets ranked 2nd in the East and would have ranked 3rd in the West this year.
- The numbers used here include the likes of Kyle Wellwood, Antti Miettinen and Mike Santorelli who are likely gone.
- On the whole, the Eastern Conference actually looks pretty big too.
- The "Big Bad" Western Conference is actually smaller than the Eastern Conference.
- The East is taller than the West on average.
- The East is heavier than the West on average.
- The Eastern Conference is BIGGER than the Western Conference.
- EVERYBODY who talks up the size of the West is kinda out to lunch.
- Storylines and narratives are fun, especially when they have no factual basis.
- Eastern Conference's top 60 Centres are a little bit taller that those in the West.
- The West is indeed a little bit heavier that the East by an average of 2 lbs.
- All of these numbers are counting Winnipeg as a Western team, and Columbus and Detroit as Eastern teams.
- This is a swap of one of the biggest teams for two smaller teams. The East is still bigger on average with them.
- The Jets will be one of the biggest teams in the league and they will be moving to a smaller division.
To summarize these numbers:
But sometimes that narrative is about size down the middle...
Well lets take a look at the average size of top 6 centres (based on TOI):
One more for fun - The Jets old division compared to their new division:
Will the Jets have obstacles as they move West? Sure.
Will the Jets obstacles be related to size? Probably not.