Time for a mental health break!
Any time anybody says anything about violence or stupidity in the modern NHL, I end up watching this crazy bench-clearing brawl from early in the 1985-86 season. It's genius, really, since in the span of a minute, it shows you every stupid thing Tim Hunter liked to get involved in, and basically everything the NHL tried to eradicate, namely:
- Swinging your stick at the goalie
- Sucker punches
- Trying to start a 2nd or 3rd or 4th fight in one session
- Goalie slapping with his blocker
- Players leaving the bench for more fighting
- A coach (!!) punching a player and possibly a ref
Don't worry though, $7600 in fines were handed out:
Nothing that happens today can compare in any way to the golden days of brawling and mayhem that we saw in the 1980s.