Veteran Captain Andrew Ladd was not even born the last time Winnipeg Jets beat the Canadiens in Montreal. Dale Hawerchuk, Ron Wilson, Thomas Steen, Randy Carlyle and others were on that Jets team. Since the move the Jets have gone 0-4-0 and been outscored 18-7 in Montreal. It has not been pretty.
It certainly wasn't pretty but the Jets have managed to break the streak on a game that Carey Price would like to have back. Both Jets goals were very questionable with a wraparound goal by Toby Enstrom and a bad play behind the net by Price resulted in Michael Frolik putting it into the empty net in the 3rd period. Brian Gionta buried a wrist shot late in the 2nd off the rush to tie the game for Montreal.
Jets outshot the Canadiens 35-31 tonight. Al Montoya got his 2nd road win in 2 starts since the coaching change, improving his record to 10-4-1 on the season. Michael Frolik scored his 12th of the season, which is his highest total since his sophomore year in Florida in 2009-10 when he had 21. Mark Scheifele was held off the scoresheet for just the 4th time in 13 games.
1) Another boring afternoon game in Montreal. Almost every player seemed to be skating in cement again. Not sure what it is about that team but games seem really slow in Montreal.
2) Chris Thorburn had one of his best games as a Jet this afternoon. Worked the corners really well, good possession today working over the small Canadien team.
3) Although I am not nearly as high on Montoya as others, he is certainly earning a longer look in net. He didn't make that many tough saves, but much of that was his great positioning not allowing Montreal quality chances.
4) I'm a broken record, but if you can't trust that 4th line get somebody in that you can trust. Peluso needs to go, he cannot play the safe game you need out of a 4th liner.
5) Love the play of the top 4 defensemen. All played great including the much maligned Mark Stuart. He is playing much safer in the past 5-10 games, looking like a legit bottom pairing guy. Stuart was 2nd on the team in shots as well with 5 behind only Bogosian who had 6.
6) Adam Pardy is continually getting exposed as not able at this level. Often caught out of position, beat too easily wide, just not a regular defenseman at this level.
7) Dustin Byfuglien had 10 hits. Nobody else on the Jets had above 3. He is certainly impressing more than I expected up front.
8) The new aggressive PK is looking hugely impressive. Love the attacking style versus Noel's passive PK.
9) Powerplay was 0 for 3. Really need to improve there. I'm hoping Maurice gives Postma some time on it when he gets back, tearing up AHL on his conditioning stint with 4 assists (2 on PP) in 2 games down there.
10) Go Seahawks! BOO
Edit- As the one who edited this piece the Habs did break my heart. Go Broncos!