In his two and a half year tenure with the Jets, Noel coached to a near .500 record of 80-79-18 including a Central Division worst 19-23-5 record this season. Winnipeg has lost each of their past five games, being outscored 24-14 during that span.
Noel will be replaced by Paul Maurice, a man who possesses over a decade of coaching experience at the NHL level split between the Hartford Whalers, Carolina Hurricanes and Toronto Maple Leafs. He led his 2001-02 Hurricanes roster to the Stanley Cup Finals where the would eventually fall to the Detroit Red Wings in a best of seven series.
We will continue to provide further updates on Winnipeg's coaching change as information becomes available.
TSN has learned Claude Noel has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the Winnipeg Jets. Assistant, Perry Pearn also let go. #TSN— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) January 12, 2014
Paul Maurice hired by Jets to replace Noel.— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) January 12, 2014
- Winnipeg Jets hire Paul Maurice as their new head coach
- Recap: The Winnipeg Jets add fuel to the tire-fire after being embarrassed 6-3 by the Columbus Blue Jackets
- Video Analysis: Winnipeg Jets Defensive Breakdowns
- In need of a reshaping, does TNSE have what it takes to fix the Winnipeg Jets?
- The emotional cost of losing is taking its toll on the Winnipeg Jets