The return home from a 6-game road trip did not go according to plan for the Winnipeg Jets. Not only was there a 50 degree downward swing in temperature between Florida and Manitoba, but the Jets were unable to get anything out of the St. Louis Blues, who scored a late power-play goal to secure a 2-1 victory.
Alexander Steen opened the scoring in the city he was born in, recording his 21st of the year. I'm sure he's a lock for Team Sweden by now, as only Alex Ovechkin has more goals. Seems like being named Alex means you score goals. If only the Jets had somebody with that name...
The abysmal Jets power-play got on the board in the third period to tie the game up. It had gone 19 opportunities in a row without scoring before Bryan Little found the net for the first time in 9 games. Little had been in a funk during that time in contrast to his hot play to start the year. In what isn't a coincidence, the PP didn't score either during that time,
The "sit back and pray" method of strategy did not work on this night, and it didn't help Dustin Byfuglien took a late penalty to send the second power-play unit onto the ice. Kevin Shattenkirk delivered the winning strike with 3:02 to play, and the Jets dropped another 2 points against Central Division rivals,
- The Blues are 10-0-1 against the Central Division, with their only loss coming at the MTS Centre on October 18. Meanwhile, the Jets are 3-10-2. One of these teams is going to make the playoffs. I don't need fancy stats to tell me who.
- The Blues once again have a two-headed dragon in net. Brian Elliot and Jaroslav Halak make one hell of a tandem.
- Ondrej Pavelec can be very good. He can be very bad. He can be meh. And you'll never know which one you're going to get. He's kind of like a box of chocolates.
- I'm about done with Claude Noel.
- Hopefully Bryan Little has woken up. Wouldn't mind seeing Andrew Ladd chipping in too. Or that Evander Kane fellow. I'm sure Chris Thorburn is a great guy, but that doesn't mean he should be on the second line.
- Typing with one hand suuuuucks.
- Two more Central Division opponents in the next bit with the Avalanche on Thursday and the Stars on Saturday. Winnipeg has to be better against their own division. They play these teams way too often for it to be ok to struggle against them.
- Also, Stu for mayor!
- What if the NHL gave out 3 points for a regulation or overtime win?
- Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin "Teflon" Cheveldayoff gets yet another free pass in the media
- Instant Recap: Winnipeg Jets strike in OT, upend Tampa Bay Lightning 2-1
- Day Late and A Dollar Short: Florida Panthers pounce on the Winnipeg Jets
- Evander Kane, P.K. Subban and the abundance of racism in the NHL