Starting at 11:30am local time in Philadelphia it was the earliest start time of any Winnipeg Jets game this season. It appears that the Jets forgot to set their alarms and only woke in the first intermission. The were outshot 13-2 in the first period and fell behind 1-0 on a goal just 48 seconds into the game by Scott Hartnell. They also took 4 minor penalties, it was not the start expected from a team riding a 2 game win streak.
The Jets manage to turn it around somewhat in the 2nd. The play was more back and forth, with the Jets receiving 2 PP opportunities and outshooting the Flyers 12-10. However a bad play at the point by controversial defenseman Dustin Byfuglien leads to a short handed goal by Sean Couturier. His 2nd great attempt shorthanded attempt on net after Pavelec stopped Couturier on a breakaway in the first period.
In the 3rd the Jets would turn the game right around to try to stage the comeback. Outshooting the Flyers 12-11, Steve Mason would play great to ensure the win. The Jets did close the gap to 2-1 as the outstanding work of the 3rd line would score with 6:07 left in the game. Mark Scheifele would dig the puck out of a scrum of Flyers in the high slot and feed it to Frolik who snapped it past Mason using the excellent screen of Matt Halischuk.
Overall the Jets power play would end up 0 for 6 with a shorthanded goal against. The anemic power play continues to be a concern. The Jets ended the game outshot 34-26. Evander Kane left the game early in the 2nd period with a lower body injury. Claude Noel did not elaborate on that in the post game scrum.
1) Jets are now 0-2-1 with just 4 goals for in games with start times before 6pm local time wherever they are playing. They need to learn how to play afternoon game with 8 more afternoon games this year.
2) Please be ok Evander! If he can't go next game, the IceCaps are playing this weekend in upstate New York (Syracuse and Binghamton), just up the road from Monday's game in New York. Let's hope Eric O'Dell might get a look alongside Olli Jokinen and Devin Setoguchi.
3) Have to love the way that 3rd line is playing. Mark Scheifele now on a team high 4 game point streak, increasing his totals to 2 goals, 7 assists this season. All 3 members of that line showing chemistry, has easily been our best line over the past few weeks. Beyond just the goal all of the members were creating offense, making smart plays, bringing energy. Awesome to watch.
4) 0 for 6 on the power play. With a shorthanded goal against. Awful. Considering the PP specialists on the blue-line this team has this is completely unacceptable.
5) While the penalty kill was perfect this morning, hope the Jets saw what an active penalty kill looks like. That's how it's done.
6) Ondrej Pavelec is looking more comfortable all the time. Although he has had success in the past at times, he is doing in a different manner recently. He is playing more contained, more consistent, safer. It looks more replicable this time around. Maybe he is really turning it around? His save percentage is up to a career high at .916%.
7) Stuart - Ellerby once again the only defense pairing that was a +.
8) Clitsome played the least among defensemen with a mere 13:49. Falling into his natural role as a #6. Aren't we glad we locked him up for over 2 million a year?
9) Who the hell is that in Philly's net? Sieve Mason looking good. We'll see how long that lasts.
10) Couturier wins round two of Scheif/Couts battle. Scheifele won the first one. Head to head it's a draw. Scheifele and Couturier now exactly tied in offensive production, with 2 goals and 7 assists each. Couturier is playing the tougher match-ups still and in defensive role though.