Guess this post is a little late now... kinda like reviewing the World Series. But here it is anyways. For context, my old highschool buddies got together for a day and a half of male bonding, consisting of drinking, playing pickup hockey, and watching PVR clips of the WJC during which our little gang (all transplanted Winnipeggers) waxed poetically about some future Jets and other related hockey things such as:
- is it just me or does Mark Scheifele fall down an awful lot? I almost mistook him for a Sedin twin during that Russia round-robin game. More annoying than that was his tendency to glance at the refs everytime he slowly got back to his feet
- Does anyone else feel a little uncomfortable leering at those teenaged Russian cheerleaders? No? Good. Me neither...
- Back to Scheifele; great that he's on the first line and all that but as a winger with Nugent-Hopkins playing centre, Scheifele had a ton of great scoring chances. Would the same thing happen with Scheifele playing centre? Can he be that distributor who gets Kane the puck? Probably not if he's always falling on his ass.
- Canada looks great in spurts but they seem to go long stretches where they stand around, waiting for "the Nuge" to do something for them. Luckily playing in Edmonton with all those young stars won't be that much different. Look for the Nuge to dominate early this shortened season before having to sit out a few weeks with yet another shoulder injury. Carrying a team can be hard on those young, skinny shoulders.
- Jacob Trouba's stats look unreal. And then watching him play - hitting everything in site, playing like a BIG defenseman should, timing his rushes perfectly, and playing responsibly - it makes you sincerely hope that he doesn't get Dustin Byfuglien as his roomie during next training camp!
- who's got the rights to that American goalie? he's huge and he's quick.
- Yes, Scheifele again. can't remember what game it was but Ray Ferraro was developing a serious man crush on #19. It was embarrassing.
- Those racist tweets about Malcolm Subban? Disgusting. By the way, why is Evander Kane wasting time watching 24/7 with Floyd Mayweather and 50 Cent. He should be watching more appropriate role models on TV shows like "Friends" or maybe even "Bob Newhart"
- Looks like I'm out of pale ale... back to the fridge