A stupid look contest! Who's winning? I vote for Bieksa.
Tonight certainly brought back memories. I've spent many a nights watching Canucks games in my basement over the past number of years, staying up to watch the late game on the West Coast. For the first time, however, I rooted against the Canucks. And for what seems like a first time, I was extremely disappointed with a Canucks victory.
The Vancouver Canucks managed to defeat the Winnipeg Jets 3-2 in regulation, and deservedly so as they were the better team for the most part. However, the loss for the Jets is made even worse by the fact that they somehow held a 2-1 advantage early in the 3rd after a Blake Wheeler goal. Not getting any points out of this one is going to hurt. And letting Samuel Pahlsson score the game-winner? That's literally pouring salt into the open wound.
With the disappointing loss, the Jets fall out of the playoff picture and into 9th as the Washington Capitals managed to tie them in the standings and hold the tiebreaker as they've played one less game. It wasn't a complete disaster though, as the Florida Panthers were destroyed 5-0 by the Flyers and the Buffalo Sabres were beaten 3-1 by the Bruins, but the Jets had a couple points up for grabs in the 3rd period and blew it. Stupid Canucks. It's no wonder why everyone in the league hates you...
Game stats and recap after the jump.
1st Period: No Scoring
Shots: VAN 45 WPG 32
3 Stars: 1) Ryan Kesler 2) Chris Higgins 3) Blake Wheeler
Thoughts from the Tarmac:
- Ondrej Pavelec was a man possessed. Seriously, he was the only reason we were in this game in the 3rd. This dude is so money, he doesn't even know it. Actually, he probably does.
- Evander Kane played an extremely physical game as he laid out a few big checks. On top of that, he added an assist, was +1 and fired nine shots on net. The dude was ready to play in his hometown barn.
- Blake Wheeler scores again. He is in absolute beast-mode right now.
- It was great to see Kyle Wellwood score against his old team. #TeamWelly had another goal to celebrate, but unfortunately it was in a losing effort. If only Tanner "Fanner" Glass could have converted on that 2-on-1 rebound when the Jets were up 2-1...
- We really had no business being in that game after 2 periods, let alone having the lead early in the 3rd, but that doesn't make the regulation loss any easier to swallow. Our team defense looked a little overwhelmed to say the least.
- But hey! We managed to keep the Sedin twins off of the scoresheet! Despite some really solid play and great chances, they continue to struggle to put up numbers of late.
- Ron Hainsey and Grant Clitsome are our shutdown d-pair? Where are you Zach Bogosian? We need you dude! I thought that the GST line and these two guys were overwhelmed all game by the Canucks attack.
- It's pretty aggravating to know that we lost by one goal, and to re-watch the highlights and see the referee get the primary assist on Kesler's short-handed goal. Bad bounces and bad breaks happen, but that one was silly.
- Dustin Byfuglien and Tobias Enstrom looked okay. They provided lots of offensive chances, but I was concerned a few times about their forays into the o-zone.
- We really need Zach Bogosian in the lineup if we are going to play elite teams. And I think Chevy needs to target another shut-down defender or two in free agency this summer. A Hal Gill-type of player would work.
- Onwards and upwards. A victory over the Calgary Flames tonight will help me forget about this game.
- Oh.... and the Canucks are a bunch of whiny divers! I don't really think that actually, but the rest of the league does so I thought I'd pile on.