Hey look...it's Malkin scoring...and Buff getting back late
Well that was just ugly...unless you like goals, in which case your eyes had a feast this afternoon.
The Winnipeg Jets fell by a score of 8-5 to the hometown Pittsburgh Penguins in a game that featured some very sloppy goaltending from two players that are usually known for being lights out good.
Ondrej Pavelec was bombed for 8 goals on 39 shots in a game where the mighty Pens offense came to play, with star player Evgeni Malkin padding his lead atop the NHL points leaderboard with 5 on the day bringing him to 67 in 48 games played. Chris Kunitz also had 4 points while Kris Letang chipped in an additional 3 for Pittsburgh. One the Jets side of things, Tim Stapleton, Bryan Little, Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien all chipped in 2 points in a losing effort.
Coach Claude Noel didn't have much to say about the game afterwards. I can't blame him. This is not really one that you take home to Momma. Sure they put up a 5 spot against a Cup contender, but in all honesty Fleury looked shaky allowing 5 on 25 shots, in an effort I doubt he's proud of.
Ugly boxscore (but no exotic stats) and Thoughts from the Tarmac coming up after THE JUMP
1st Period: 05:17 WPG Kyle Wellwood (11) (Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien); 08:04 WPG Alexander Burmistrov (10) (Antti Miettinen, Tim Stapleton); 12:11 PIT Dustin Jeffrey (3) (Jordan Staal, Kris Letang); 16:42 PIT James Neal (29) (Evgeni Malkin)
2nd Period: 03:12 PIT PPG Chris Kunitz (15) (Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury); 09:53 PIT Kris Letang (6) (Evgeni Malkin, Chris Kunitz); 14:19 WPG Tim Stapleton (8) (Blake Wheeler); 17:08 PIT Evgeni Malkin (30) (Chris Kunitz, James Neal)
3rd Period: 04:35 WPG Dustin Byfuglien (8) (Bryan Little, Blake Wheeler); 04:54 PIT Richard Park (5) (Brooks Orpik, Craig Adams); 07:48 PIT Jordan Staal (16) (Pascal Dupuis, Matt Cooke); 10:02 WPG Bryan Little (14) (Ron Hainsey, Zach Bogosian); 17:16 PIT PPG Kris Letang (7) (Evgeni Malkin, Chris Kunitz)
Shots: PIT 39 WPG 25
3: 1) Evgeni Malkin 2) Kris Letang 3) Kris Letang
Thoughts From The Tarmac
- Really bad goaltending on both sides tonight. I'm not sure why Coach Claude Noel saw fit to keep Pavs in there to be exposed to that kind of beating, but a guy who has been a steady force for the Jets crumbled under the weight of Malkin and Co.
- Our powerplay looks pathetic. Sure it only had one opportunity, but it's effectiveness, or lack thereof, is a real concern at this point. there seems to be no plan, and there are definitely no goals.
- Honestly...I don't know what there really is to say about this one. Sure 4 guys had more than 1 point, but there were a few players completely exposed defensively. Mark Stuart was somehow only on for one goal against. And that was on a penaltykill. So he's my Jets player of the game. 1 blocked shot, and Joe Vitale and Jordan Staal felt the wrath of his bodychecks.
- If Andrew Ladd takes another stupid offensive zone penalty for the Jets when they're trailing by a small margin late in the third period...I might snap. Stop shooting your team in the foot. It's not what leaders do.
- The Jets need to forget this one and focus on warming my heart on Valentines Day, when they take on the New York Islanders at the MTS Centre. The Jets are 1-0-1 against the Isles this season, with a 3-0 win and a 3-2 loss in shootout in the books thus far. Including Tuesday's game they face the boys from Long Island two more times this year.
I'm noping for better things in the near future, because this felt like a waste of a Saturday afternoon to me.
Until next time...
GO JETS GO!