Moving into the second installment for the 1990s, I'm going to seek to correct (what appears to be) a major oversight, and keep the good times rolling with a steady dose of Nickelodeon-tinged names. As you might have guessed from above, Satan makes an appearance, as does a popular Swedish request, and one of my personal favorites. If you haven't already done so, be sure to head over and vote in the first part of the 1990s, where it appears that Darius Kasparaitis, Bob Beers, and Parris Duffus will be the names joining a trio from the names below.
Please follow and vote after the jump...
...hockey history is chock full of names that can pique a person's interest, whether it's because it's unintentionally funny to the English sensibility (Petr Pohl), almost regal (Normand Rochefort), or lends itself to entertaining wordplay (Darius Kasparaitis). The criteria for our 'most interesting names' is a bit loose, in that the name can strike you as any one of the above descriptors, or all of them, but ultimately you are going to vote on the name that 'strikes' you the strongest.
- Norm Maracle - Among the many appropriate wordplays for his name is the miracle that a guy with this physique has been able to play professionally well into his late-30s.
- Peter Ahola - Whether you prefer the Spanish ("Ah, hola") or decidedly English ("A-hole-a") approach, you can't really detract from how interesting the name is. Apparently, per the bio, he was a really good water skier, which takes the cake for biggest tangent on the day...
- Hnat Domenichelli - Hard to top the WTF nature of this name. My untested hypothesis is that he and Eric Fichaud were separated at birth, not that anybody is going to know who I'm talking about. Just look at the pictures, okay?
- Per Djoos - Whether it's pronounced "Pear Juice" or "Pair Jews" it doesn't matter because look at this coif.
- Leif Rohlin - Unfortunately not born on April 20th, though when asked whether he rolls his own I bet he gives you this look. That's a yes.
- Miroslav Satan - Considerably aided by the fact that he kinda looked like the Devil.
- David Legwand - Before Harry Potter, we had the Leg Wand.
- Zarley Zalapski - Because I did Double Z's wrong by excluding him from the 1980s...
- Mike MacWilliam - Dude just admit it, you made up your name to sound Scottish.
- Steven King - Not so much scary as he was dashing and Disney-inspired.
A tough group, no doubt, give us your vote to help us out.
Which name from this group is the most interesting?
Mike MacWilliam (0 votes)
Miroslav Satan (13 votes)
Leif Rohlin (1 vote)
Norm Maracle (0 votes)
Peter Ahola (1 vote)
Per Djoos (3 votes)
Steven King (0 votes)
Hnat Domenichelli (7 votes)
David Legwand (1 vote)
Zarley Zalapski (10 votes)
36 total votes