Should Benny be Mascot again? Other candidates after the daily links.
Jets Daily Links
- Carl Klingberg is coming to camp extra hungry for a roster spot (The Sun)
- Should the Jets consider trading Dustin Byfuglien? Arctic Ice didn't like trading Buff for Atl / Winn's perspective when Chicago did it. (Arctic Ice) (I am interested in trade perspectives, if any, on a 40lbs+ overweight Buff, who is on the wrong side of the law now - comment away on trade possibilities if you think there is any)
- A write-up on the Jets new TV deal (The Hockey Writers)
- Tidbit on Alexander Burmistrov (The Sun)
- Mark Scheifele put on 10 pounds of muscle this summer, which he considers "a lot." Apparently he hasn't heard of the crazy workout regimen Flufflien's been doing (Barrie Examiner)
- The Jets logo is now at center ice in the MTS Centre! (via @NHLJets)
To wind up Jets Noise today with a question, has anyone established if Benny is being reinstated as the Jets official mascot? I searched dilgently for confirmation or denial but came up empty.
For the few of you who do not know Benny, he was the Jets (1979) former mascot and his name is taken from the song Bennie and Jets and from the orginal owner of the Jets (1979) Ben Hatskin and our own Ben Wendorf who had some pull back in the 70s with such issues.
If you are not familiar with the song there is a clip after the break and a few other alternate candidates.
Candidate 1 - Benny (Pic above)
Benny's name was inspired by this song for the 2 people in Winnipeg who don't know this. Actually, I probably should not assume that. There is a new generation of young Jets fans now, some of whom probably have very little actual memory of the (1979) Jets. For those fans I should probably mention that I was kidding about our very own Ben Wendorf being the inspiration for Benny's name.
This reminds me, does anyone know which bar will be the unofficial bar for the Jets after the games yet?
Bennie and the Jets scene (via Soccergrrl45)
Candidate 2 - Eddie the Head
Can you not easily picture Eddie in his fighter jet uniform with our logo banging the drum at the games? What is that you say? Mascots are for kids, he is too scary. Well geez our logo has provoked outrage from a portion of the Canadian population, may as well go all in with it. Does it matter that this image's premise is Eddie fighting Nazi's in the Battle of Britain in WW II ? No? Geez, better strike Billy Bishop off the list here as well.
Candidate 3 - Thrash should be dug up and reborn in a Jets jersey
A link to the Atlanta Thrashers past perhaps, he may be looking for work and did any one check his vitals before they closed the lid?
Candidate 4 - Ice Girls
Wave of the future, sorry Benny.
Candidate 5 - Nelly Furtado as a hybrid Mascot / Ice Girl
An olive branch to the anti-logo folks. Imagine a slightly altered version of her "I'm like a Bird" song now as she sings it live as a goal song.
I'm like a Jet - I'll only fly away, I don't know where my soul is - blah, blah, blah - the hippies will dig all of that big time and don't tell me you can not easily picture her in Benny's costume serenading a hippie jam fest at the MTS.
I'm like a Jet - I'll only fly away, I don't know where my goal is, I don't know where my zone is... Ok, maybe the lyrics need work but the anti-logo
hippies crowd will love it and that is all that matters.
Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird (Live @ Harald Schmidt Show) (via gbyte10)
Of course the next time I am in Winnipeg I may be having nightmares like this later but don't let me influence your vote.
hippies all around me (via coolrobc)