In the second half of back to back home games, the Winnipeg Jets look to replicate the success that was their game last night against the Montreal Canadiens by defeating the Pittsburgh Penguins at the MTS Centre.
They've done it before. They CAN do it again. Wanna know why? Because once again the Penguins will be without the services of one Sidney Crosby. The Pens were without Malkin last time too, but that bugger is back on is right up near the top of the scoring (points) leaderboard with 39 points.
But no one remembers who wins the Art Ross trophy (Ed. Note: that was a lie)
The Jets will be a little tired most likely, after beating the Habs 4-0 last night, but at least that ws done on home ice and there is no travel to be done. This game will also mark the debut of the greatest set of goalie pads in the history of ever as Stone Mason wears his custom Jets gear for the first time in game action.
The Penguins have not played since Tuesday when they faced the visiting Blackhawks and emerged victorious by a 3-2 margin.
Keys to the Game, Player Numbers and Lineups after THE JUMP
Keys to the Game:
- After getting called out by Ondrej Pavelec after their shootout loss to the Islanders the Jets provided plenty of offensive spark and proved that going to the net does in fact get you goals. Ask Steam Punk. And Gary Lawless was kind enough to point out that shots can equal goals so Wheels decided to shoot and low and behold he got himself 2 goals!
- Pavelec shone bright once again, let's hope Mason and his pads do a similar job against a better, less tired team.
- Bryan Little is still unlikely to go after blocking a shot a week ago. His replacement Burmi only got one shot on goal last game, but was +1 in 17 minutes of ice time and was 7 of 10 at the dot.
- It would be nice to see Kaner get on the scoresheet again...I'm talking goals here. Make Fleury run away
- Hainsey still doesn't seem worth his wages, but I noticed something while watching last night. Buff has been playing great. This is obvious because he is both producing and invisible on defense, meaning he isn't getting burned. Dunno what Charlie Huddy and Claude noel have said but I am not at all mad at him for anything in recent memory...it's weird!
- I like Mark Stuart. He's neat. Sure he has fallen to third in the league blocked shots category, but he still plays with a tenacity and balls out approach I completely admire. Bogo's good too. We should all Boogie with Stu on occasion. It's good for us
- Blake Wheeler was fun to watch last night. He uses his size speed and agility to embarras opposing defenders down low with his puck control.
- Penalty kill made the Habs look bad last night. Because I was never concerned when phantom call after phantom call occurred.
- Final thought: it the Jets outscore the Penguins they stand a good chance at winning. Unless it's Oduya scoring on us again...
Jets (34 GP, 16-13-5, 35 PTS)
#31 Ondrej Pavelec
We get to see Mason's new pads! Isn't that neat?
UPDATE: No new pads tonight. Evidently they're not ready to be scuffed up because Pavelec makes his 30th appearance of the year as he gets the start over Chris Mason
#47 Simon Depres -- #2 Matt Niskanen
#6 Ben Lovejoy -- #54 Alexandre Picard
Half the team has a concussion...it's kind of weird.
Player to boo without mercy: Well Cooke is kind of a prick, but let's boo Malkin because he's good. Him and FLLLLEEEUUUUUURRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY.
Prediction: Winnipeg 3-2 Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh will be like "OMG we're totally gonna win this" and Winnipeg will be like "Nuh uh" and Claude Noel will be like " :-| "
GO JETS GO!