The Mighty Jets of Winnipeg found a way to eke out a point on the road against the Capitals, but they ultimately found themselves on the wrong side of a back and forth game where the Jets grabbed the leads 3 times with the Jets managing to even up the score 3 times before Jason Chimera potted the winner in OT.
There were some good efforts, and some not so good efforts in this one. The top line of Laddy Antropov and Wellwood was looking dangerous for most of the game, and Kane's Little Wheeler found the scoreboard too.
The game was much more physical than last weeks game in Winnipeg and both teams were dishing out huge checks. High tempo as well, as odd man rushes were abundant and lead to a game far more exciting than anything the 1-3-1 trap has to offer.
Game thoughts, Boxscore and Highlights after THE JUMP
The Jets showed they could take a little adversity and keep on battling as they went down 1-0 a little over 5 minutes into the game and managed to continuously battle back when they found themselves down, which ended up being one time too many.
1st Period: 05:23 WAS EV Goal Alexander Semin (5) (Alex Ovechkin, John Carlson); 13:21 WPG EV Goal Andrew Ladd (7) (Nik Antropov, Kyle Wellwood); 13:33 WAS EV Jason Chimera (7) (Brooks Laich, Karl Alzner); 16:30 WPG EV Goal Kyle Wellwood (7) (Andrew Ladd, Zach Bogosian)
- Dustin Byfuglien returned to his wandering ways on Wednesday night, and twice it resulted in the puck ending up in Winnipeg's net. this has to stop pronto.
- Ondrej Pavelec made some huge saves that will make me forget what I thought to be a weak third goal against. 33 save effort looked better in person than it does on paper.
- Welcome back Ron Hainsey, who played more than 23 minutes of hockey tonight. His puck distribution looked a little off, but time will fix that and defensively he was very responsible.
- Ladd-Antropov-Wellwood: the fact that this is a top line is kind of humorous, but darned if they haven't been effective lately and tonight was no exception.
- Powerplay: 5 on 3. Had to score. Didn't. 0 for 2 on the night, but I'll forgive it because they were firing on all cylinders against the Flyers
- Penalty Kill: Killed off all 3. Job well done
- Zdeno Chara: Pick on someone your own size you wanker. Wrong game? Oh...sorry!
- Good road point: Yes they lost in OT, but points on the road are always a good thing, especially against division rivals and especially against "Cup Contenders"
The Jets travel on to Raleigh to play the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday night before wrapping up this 3 game road swing against the bruins from Boston in Beantown on Saturday. After that action is at the MTS Centre for 13 out of 15 games between then and 2012.
GO JETS GO!