Once again another chapter gets added to the majestic history between the Winnipeg Jets and the Florida Panthers. Bitter rivals since May, the Jets took the first meeting between these squads 4 to 3 in Shootout on Halloween. You may remember that game as thousands of Florida fans showed up dressed as empty seats. Well needless to say the atmosphere will be a lot different as 15,004 people pack inside the MTS Centre for another game, though as of 10 p.m. CST there are 20 tickets available on ticketmaster. But that's still way more than Florida!
The Jets return to Winnipeg after a 7 game road trip saw them accumulate 8 points and a 3-2-2 record on the trip that pitted them against Southeast and Atlantic Division opponents. And Buffalo. 8 points out of a potential 14 isn't bad, but the Jets surely wanted more. It wasn't always pretty on the road, as penalties and sloppy play saw big leads squandered far too often but this season is still young and there is plenty of time to improve, even if your name is Dustin Byfuglien.
Keys to the game and lineups after the jump.
Keys to the game:
- STOP TAKING PENALTIES: We can argue that there were some soft calls called against the Jets on Tuesday, but there is still no need to be taking stupid penalties in the offensive zone. I count 4 from Andrew Ladd alone in the past 2 games that were completely needless and of the demoralizing variety. There is no reason to be taking penalties while on the power play. Buffalo was able to score 4 power play goals but I really don't want to fault the PK unit or the goalie too much, because it's not their fault these penalties were taken.
- Power play goals: Going 1 for 5 against Buffalo isn't exactly stellar, but buffalo has one of the best PK's of the season thus far. And you know what that means? That's right, next to nothing because the sample size is too small. But if the Jets can increase their productivity and decrease 2 on 1 shorthanded goals then progress should be made.
- Dustin Byfuglien: Which Bustin' will show up? The one who stared at goal number 2 go in and set up a 2 on 1 the other way for Buffalo? Or the goal scoring, big hitting force to be reckoned with we want him to be that showed up in periods 2 and 3 in Buffalo? Let's hope for the latter.
- Ladd's Little Wheeler: Please sir, I want some more. That was a much better showing for the former top line combining for 5 points as Slump Over Day was a huge hit. now if Wheeler can get a couple in the net then all will be good in the universe once more.
- BAK in the USSR: Looked unlucky not to find the score sheet on Tuesday, look for them to continue their scoring ways
- Festerling and Flood: Has anybody noticed that these guys aren't NHL regulars? Because their play since filling in due to injury has been quite good. So long as it continues it will be difficult to send them back down.
- Jack Skille: Can you say "Bullseye"?
Jets (GP 15 5-7-3 13 PTS)
#31 Ondrej Pavelec
Ben Maxwell was put on waivers Wednesday, Chris Mason may or may not be on the bench and Eric Fehr has got to be back sooner rather than later. I thought he'd beat Crosby back to action but I might be wrong there.